Still feeling a bit under the weather but so much better, really. Still trying to rehydrate and relax a bit. Went to see some apartments, met up with a school friend (I must not have seen her in 10 years! Crazy) and worked on The Secret Project some more.
My parents came to London for the weekend and it was nice to spend some time with them. We went to the theatre and to see the poppies at the Tower of London.
Saw Shakespeare in Love which was amazing. It’s been a while since I watched the movie, but from what I can remember it’s pretty much the same. Really recommend.
More progress on Gravitas, I think I will finish it soon! It’s the kind of book that I always read slowly because I want to try things. I got to a really helpful bit this week though, which was great.
Novels: Exes and Ohs (okay), Fairytale of New York (quite sweet), One Hundred Proposals (I really liked this, much more than I expected to), and parts 2 and 3 of A Family Affair (I don’t know why I bought these considering I didn’t really like the first one, but once started I felt compelled to complete the trilogy).
All product links Amazon.
Dinner at Addie’s Thai (OK, twice, I will miss this place when I move) and Harwundeki Cafe (super tasty Korean food and very cheap), Tayyabs (great Indian food), Santa Maria Pizzeria (delicious pizza, very reasonable), Dirty Burger (despite the name, good! But long wait and slow service, don’t bother with the milkshakes). Brunch at Kopapa (amazing), the Troubador and Bill’s (regular haunts).
- Being an Expat
- The Myth of the Intersection of Creativity, Energy, and Time
- #GHC13: Panel on Entrepreneurship
On The Internet
- This is lovely, but sad – Daily Bechdel Diary http://buff.ly/1tVGsgO /via @alicebartlett /by @mantemarisa
- “What has made a trying situation even more painful is the sense that our story is not worth telling.” http://buff.ly/1unqoBR /v @ashedryden
- This OK GO video is seriously amazing (like all their videos), so many optical illusions – http://buff.ly/1sm6mWW
- Wow, incredible woman – Gladys Ingle of the 13 BLACK CATS changes planes in mid-air – http://buff.ly/V5n0ij
- The AMAZING @handee on tech sexism esp. at university – “Fixing the culture is too important to be left to women” – http://buff.ly/1orJwsN
- Great answer on quora, winners quit more, because time and attention are finite – http://buff.ly/V6MmwL
- This is helpful. Language Tips for Cis Feminists Speaking on Trans Issues http://buff.ly/1kTJob9 /via @ashedryden
- Like this – I’m Dan Ariely, Author and Professor, and This Is How I Work http://buff.ly/V9NuPX /via @wandaeby
- “Maybe I feel sick because I really, genuinely give a shit about the experience people will have.” http://buff.ly/1pJGiFl #publicspeaking
- Oh baby pandas – http://buff.ly/1pM7X8v
- @jessicarichman: Harassment in Science, Replicated, via @nytimeshttp://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/12/science/harassment-in-science-replicated.html?smid=nytcore-iphone-share&smprod=nytcore-iphone …
- @juliepagano: Dear Twitter… http://juliepagano.com/blog/2014/08/12/dear-twitter/ …
- Lonely british people! One in 10 do not have a close friend and even more feel unloved – http://buff.ly/1p2JLzr /via @felsull
- “minority workers hired at companies with affirmative action policies are seen as less warm and less likeable” – http://buff.ly/1p4Ksbi
- Interesting – Why We Fight at Work – http://buff.ly/1sXCZvA /via @katemats
- This will make you cry, then hope. In the Valley — http://buff.ly/Y5gjPs /via @triketora
- Worth reading on harassment –#TwitterFail: Twitter’s Refusal to Handle Online Stalkers, Abusers, and Haters http://buff.ly/1uPoWbw
- @polotek: This MLK quote on white moderates is incredible. It applies for many other marginalized groups. pic.twitter.com/puSrXaJmUN h/t @MochaLisaccino
- This is nice, on politeness – http://buff.ly/1lZ0izV /via @peterseibel
- Practical and actionable tips for escaping the corporate cage – http://buff.ly/1t4nnGo /via @katemats
- This is good, on why a mission statement is not enough to define your culture (concrete actions!) http://buff.ly/VqbJJw /via @kerrizor
- “we were here first and society doesn’t get to make us obsolete without owing us something in return.” http://buff.ly/1oDkPQq
- Better than productivity hacks: how to rewire your brain to be more productive | http://buff.ly/1pnV4ST /via @katemats