I’ve been reading a lot of novels lately (oh hai, lurgy). And I enjoy the escapism but often find myself exclaiming WHAT WHY WHAT NO. Some of the things that cause that…
- Drippy protagonists who want nothing other than a relationship, or put up with a terrible relationship for a long time.
- First kiss to engagement in less than 2 pages.
- Woman gives up entire life to be with dude (you’re leaving your ailing grandmother who brought you up? really?!)
- Woman drops large amount of weight effortlessly (apparently after years of struggle, which of course is before the story starts).
- Woman has drifted along for years, suddenly an entrepreneur and is wildly successful.
- Complete life overhaul in less time than the shelf life of a pot of mayo.
- Everyone falls in love all at once, after years of dysfunctional relationships.
- Career woman is the villain.
- Techie (always a dude) is the villain.
One reply on “Things That Annoy Me When Reading Novels”
[…] Things That Annoy Me When Reading Novels […]