In Bogota! Adjusting to life here – joined a gym (which has fingerprint authentication! And a fighting cage!) and I’ve been exploring my neighbourhood. Generally being a bit of a hermit after running around for all of March, which has been great.
Pretty much finished my iOS unit testing workshop! One last person is taking a look, and then it’ll be ready.
Moved forward on a couple of things that I can’t share yet – but soon! Including an article I am excited about.
Started looking at the code for a friend’s startup, helping her with some iOS stuff. And finally finished up a couple of little bits on Android and got it running on a device! It looks terrible and runs slowly – but progress!
May marks 6 months of Technically Speaking, so starting to look into celebrating that.
Watching Gossip Girl. Read The Eloquent Woman’s Guide to Moderating Panels (really good), and working on Professional Android 4 Application Development again. Novels: finished Home Truths, and read The Teashop on the Corner, now reading Pillow Talk.
A new edition of Technically Speaking is out.
On The Internet
- If you aren’t feeling despondent enough – Things My Male Tech Colleagues Have Actually Said to Me, Annotated – http://buff.ly/1IzqMni
- I love the Private Moon http://buff.ly/1HzU7hh
- This is good on why 1-person teams should be avoided – Why and Where Is Teamwork Important? http://buff.ly/1IzjgJb /via
- Really helpful on contracts you shouldn’t sign, and how to get clauses removed – http://buff.ly/1NK4GQE /by
@mjdominus /via @DanielleSucher
@ashedryden is so wise. On the burden of corporate feminism – whose work is diversity anyway? http://buff.ly/1IAdV44
- On unhealthy work cultures and burnout – must read – http://buff.ly/1GeteCg /by
- This is great – on attention, and how it’s not all that – On Value and Being Seen http://buff.ly/1MTsBC5 /by
@summerpierre /v @jeffyamaguchi
- SO GREAT by
@mrtazz – “as a profession I get the feeling we have started to basically take negativity for granted” – http://buff.ly/1CHdzrc
- “don’t suffer for a paycheck unless you’re the CEO. Otherwise, you don’t get paid enough for that shit.” http://buff.ly/1CHg8tb
@heddle317 laying it down again, so much wisdom in this series – The Null Process – http://buff.ly/1PjtmTF
- Hodgehegg! http://buff.ly/1Gp0ua0
- This is charming, but also brilliant – on being kind to your future self – http://buff.ly/1GVTRuU /via
- Helpful by
@courtneyseiter (I learned stuff!) – 7 Simple Ways to To Be More Inclusive in Work and Life – http://buff.ly/1yWwCdc
- Interesting paper: 27% of traffic to SO comes from women, but only 7% women participating. http://iwc.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2013/09/27/iwc.iwt047.full.pdf?keytype=ref&ijkey=YDfDyV3aWDFWeDl …
- My friend
@lrnrd wrote about burnout, and saying no – http://buff.ly/1yTm1Qe
@indec: “one of your privileges is the ability to do nothing. You can’t say the wrong thing if you remain silent” – http://buff.ly/1ybI3TH
- Country Clubs on the Web – “the ‘noise’ they wanted to filter out was women and/or people of colour” http://buff.ly/1IAzsKe
- I suspect this has no scientific basis – Which nationality should your lover be? http://buff.ly/1xTP2Ai (I got Swedish)
- “don’t apologise, no matter how badly you want to” http://buff.ly/1N5ni2o /by
- Love this, thanks
@mattgemmell – “Online or offline, the world is an echo chamber of male opinion.” – http://buff.ly/1yVb8NM
- OMG hilarious, one woman discovers the wage gap – http://buff.ly/1DThvbZ /via
- I find this entrancing but also terrifying – Karen, an App That Knows You All Too Well – http://buff.ly/1CwNZl6
- I hear it is still cold in Europe / East Coast US, so to cheer you up – 27 Shadows of Beautiful and Vibrant Spring – http://buff.ly/1CwR9FA