I don’t even know what I did this week, been so stressed lately and it’s been catching up with me. Not sleeping well, etc. I think I’m getting less stressed, and that things are better, but it’s been going long enough now that I just feel worn down by it. Missed mid-week kettlebell workout because I spent an evening with a headache so bad I could barely stand up, which sucked. Just trying to relax and be kind to myself, really.
Went out to a Girls in Tech event (VC and entrepreneur panel, pretty cool), met up with a woman doing a startup, and had brunch with a Canadian visiter.
My little tiny team now has an intern! Which is exciting. So trying to define what we are doing, how we communicate etc. Wrote lots of code.
Hosted an internal showing of the ENIAC programmers documentary, which is so amazing. I’m so lucky to have got to see it a second time!
Product links Amazon.
- Python Programming With Little Stemettes
- 3 Super Easy Things To Do For Other (Technical) Women
- Some Thoughts On Mentoring
On The Internet
- Wonderful! Cats On Computers – http://buff.ly/1ik9dje /via @beerops
- I adore @mindykaling, here’s her commencement speech at Harvard Law – http://buff.ly/Uw6us7
- These are cool, I <3 fractals – http://buff.ly/1ik9XVG
- Agree w/ @ellenchisa, @mikeyang‘s post “should I leave google legal?” applies more widely to “should I leave [job]?” http://buff.ly/TiuvC3
- “I Resent You”, a translation of that open letter – http://buff.ly/1ioJoia
- Like this, particuarly Time/Energy/Attention point – 10 Lessons from a Year of Productivity Experiments http://buff.ly/Tiwjel /via @sachac
- I like this critique of the pantene ad http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/19/beauty-companies-women-pantene-sorry … original – http://buff.ly/1ikfs6B
- “Is it best to be warm with people you barely know, or to save your warmth for meaningful relationships?” http://buff.ly/1iZLlMG
- On silicon valley culture – “The problem is that all cliques are self-reinforcing” – Inside the Mirrortocracy – http://buff.ly/1jJPmVv
- Love the bits of speechwriting strategy highlighted in Famous Speech Friday: Michelle Obama’s eulogy for Maya Angelou http://buff.ly/1swAmDS
- 5 Things You Shouldn’t Say to Women Who Don’t Want Children – http://buff.ly/UvnA9m /via @corey_latislaw
- Interesting, on poor anonymization of data, and how to decrypt it – On Taxis and Rainbows – http://buff.ly/Uvq1J2 /via @hmason /by @vijayp
- I wish more men would do #2! – 35 Practical Steps Men Can Take To Support Feminism – http://buff.ly/TkoTXN /via @schemaly
- “unfortunately the man-baby/frat boy niche is both large and lucrative” http://buff.ly/1im5K3M
- “Could your Strong Female Character be seamlessly replaced with a floor lamp with some useful information on it?” http://buff.ly/1sxnA7X
- Women in IT Scorecard is out for the UK, and it’s not good (interestingly, self employed is a highlight) http://buff.ly/1j23Hww /via @handee
- “In any other context… we would call engineering that makes a task more difficult what it is: shitty engineering.” http://buff.ly/1nYEaIO
- This is good, by @ellenchisa on negotiating your job offer – http://buff.ly/1nYEd7y
- “It’s very hard to respond in a healthy way to an unhealthy situation.” http://buff.ly/1ld0kCx
- Incredible story, I’m so glad @nikkidurkin99 shared – My startup failed, and this is what it feels like… http://buff.ly/VoGAal /via @kateho
- Good post, on how horrifying comments (like HackerNews/Reddit) became normal – http://buff.ly/VoGPCl /via @juliepagano
- Amazing, thanks @amptMN for writing this – Thoughts on gender, engineering, and parenting… – http://buff.ly/1vaUMy1
- Should I offended that this reminded @stakach of me but I understand why. “I was born to leave… I will always leave” http://buff.ly/1wVgrx6