My friend and I went on an adventure to see an abandoned theme park in Berlin. It’s pretty cool. Eerie. The wind blows the ferris wheel slowly around. It makes a creaking sound from a long time without maintenance. We could not go inside, but we peeked in through the fence and marvelled.
I love being a tourist in the city I live in. Taking a day to go and explore, see somewhere I haven’t before. I like to go off the beaten path a little, and see the places a lot of people miss. For example, one of my favourite things I saw in Sydney were these abandoned ships. I don’t always feel excited about going outside, but I set days when I expect to do something, and then I find something to do. I am invariably glad that I did.
My strategies for finding unexpected places:
- Look for abandoned places nearby. I love abandoned places.
- Look up a “things to do in [city]” list. Scroll down past the popular places, that everyone likes, and filter through those that are uninteresting to you to find gems.
- Walk, and look out for what is by you. Some of my favourite places I experienced because I noticed them as I walked towards something else and stopped to go inside.
- Talk to people about cool places to go, they will have places they have found too (today I heard about an abandoned radio tower).
- When discovering lists of cool places see which are close by. This list of bridges gave me a place to visit not too far from Berlin.