So little time for life when on a business trip! Got to hang out with a couple of friends in Seattle, got kicked out of a bar with one of them… for not carrying my passport. We’d ordered green tea and water, and mac and cheese. Rocknroll! Caught up with a couple more on video chat, and got quite a bit of writing done on various planes. Ended up in NYC for Saturday night, having dinner with a work-friend from Sydney, so that was cool! And my friend from London flew out to hang out with me and see NYC.
Did manage to get some cardio in 4 times which is more than I usually manage on work trips, and is so helpful for keeping my sanity.
Was happy to discover how easy it is to change a domestic flight – I couldn’t face the redeye on Friday night (so exhausted, never really made it to west-coast time) and they let me push it back to the following morning, no charge. Meanwhile I checked in to a nearby hotel for some actual sleep!
Even more hectic than last week! Gave a talk. So many meetings – west coast is an easier timezone for catching up with people (including one of my mentors) and I was prepping like crazy for next week. Took some UX courses too, which were really interesting – and helpful! Schedule being so packed meant I didn’t spend as much time with the team as I wanted, but I’ll be back soon. Also schedule being so packed people said my calendar was stressful to them (eek, I never wanted to be that person) and one of my friends said I sounded like a product manager. Noooooo!
I really don’t want to be a PM, but it’s good to have actual work challenges (even if it’s “be firm about priorities”, “don’t be a PM”), rather than the nebulous and depressing one of “women are treated badly in this industry and frankly I can’t take it any more”. And what I’m doing is really interesting – currently thinking a lot about personas, user-centric design, usage patterns on mobile.
Finished Jane by Design which is cute, some light relief, sad they didn’t renew it for another season. Also watching Big Bang Theory Season 7, and err… Keeping up With the Kardashians Season 6 (bought when I discovered that half the shows I watched weren’t available on UK iTunes, taking recommendations for new things to watch). Been listening to whatever is playing on my iPhone.
Product links Amazon.
- US October 2013 (MN and CA)
- 10 Ways to Develop Your Plan B
- Book: I, Partridge: We Need to Talk About Alan
ON THE INTERNET
- @johnmaeda: All I want to be is someone that makes new things and thinks about them. … a haiku from ~2007 pic.twitter.com/rDQz46AkMj
- @michelledean: “[Blanchett] did not compartmentalize. She chose art over humanity.” http://www.salon.com/2014/02/02/compartmentalizing_woody_allen_what_america_chooses_not_to_see/ …
- @FrazDav: For those of you not into sports, here is an absolutely superb owl #superbowl pic.twitter.com/XSQ1hZvDIh
- @oknermin: A miniature #SuperbOwl. pic.twitter.com/wx6sruIfyG
- @ShriverReport: “I do not want my daughter to ever be in the position I have been in.” http://www.momsrising.org/blog/i-am-not-worth-less/ …@MomsRising#fairpay#WhatWomenNeed
- Interesting – app for ordering drinks, being trialed in London – http://buff.ly/1dhqVud
- This is great on The Eloquent Woman – 12 ways to evaluate speaking gigs for gender bias http://buff.ly/1gBxXlE /via @dontgetcaught
- Yep, this on “passion” – The Moderately Enthusiastic Programmer –http://buff.ly/1bkaMYo /via @steveklabnik @juliepagano
- “…to sell products, we need to quit thinking about what’s cool to us, and focus on what customers actually need.” http://buff.ly/1fAXSpM
- Don’t think I’m doing well at any of these lately: 19 Hard Things You Need To Do To Be Successful – http://buff.ly/1fAYwnr /via @mypromotion
- By the amazing @jo_miller – Stretched Too Thin: A Checklist for When to Say “No” to Stretch Assignments http://buff.ly/1fB00hk
- Debunking the Men’s Rights Movement’s False Claims about Women – http://buff.ly/1bkcJnH /via @adriarichards
- I love this by @kronda – Dear Marginalized People Coming Into Tech – http://buff.ly/1bkdcpW /via @MinaMarkham
- Wow – Life as a Nonviolent Psychopath – http://buff.ly/1icorCe /via @bl
- “If making your life mean more than pleasing men is “deranged”, it’s not just short-haired girls who are crazy.” http://buff.ly/1eM5ceY
- This is so cute – google search: reunion – http://buff.ly/1doPZzC
- Gorgeous travel site, this is where I will book my next vacation, anyone want to come with me? http://combadi.com
- Holidays with Tito: A photographic journey to the architectural legacy of the heyday of tourism in socialist Croatia. http://buff.ly/1fMJUln
- This is good, by @kitchenettekat – Why are you supporting women in tech? http://buff.ly/1fMKYWu
- Love these – City maps built from runners’ favourite routes – http://buff.ly/1fMLlAr
@wseblen: They recycle EVERYTHING in Seattle. https://plus.google.com/u/0/+ScottEblen/posts/aR7FQ2HCWcA …