Life goal achieved – I met a hedgehog. Petunia is sooooooooooo cute and adorable, and I am madly in love. We got to hang out twice! And it was super super amazing. I probably won’t see her again before I leave though – sadness.
Seattle is – as usual – a social whirl. Catching up with the many many people I know here, and some new ones, and even having people over to my temporary home! I tempered my initial dinner party idea and just had 3 full sized humans and one toddler over, and we ate desert.
My iPhone randomly wiped all the music off it – sadness – and the one U2 album that appeared in it’s place… well there is a limit to how many times I could listen to that and it’s <1. But it meant I finally signed up for some kind of streaming service! I know, I’m so behind the times. But I never wanted such a thing because I have so much music although I rarely buy it since I left the UK… 8 years ago. Now I have it though… it’s so awesome to be able to just listen to whatever I feel in the mood for. Not Apple Music, as I am inclined to blame it for the disappearance. I’m using Spotify.
Work is great, I really like my manager and I learn a lot just being around him. Starting to figure out what I need to be doing, which makes everything seem less overwhelming. Focusing on Android this week.
Hanging out at Glowforge, which is great. Super fun to spend more time with people there, and make things! I hosted an evening for people who are underrepresented in tech which was pretty awesome, and made the Ultimate Selfie.
I need to figure out how to promote Show & Hide more, things really died down after launch week. Trying to carve out time at the weekend to get a bit more on top of that kind of thing.
Reading the Year of Yes.
- Moderating My First Panel
- Diversity is an Attention Economy and the Economics Suck
- Book: High Output Management
A new edition of Technically Speaking is out.
Chiu-ki and I did an interview about the newsletter on The Eloquent Woman.
My blog post on making good requests for mentorship is up on Be Leaderly.
On the Internet
- Look at those ears!!! That nose!!! Omg
@feministculture: This is so important.
- On the rise of messaging apps – No UI is the New UI – http://buff.ly/1NGQYBM
- Awwwh a kitten and an owl and they are BEST FRIENDS
- I really like this by
@ellenchisa about the benefits of putting design and PM together – http://buff.ly/21REwFo
- Ooh an entire blog about unit testing on iOS!!! http://buff.ly/1lV0ruq
- I told
@bydefault_tv about Tuna eating the soap I A/B tested on her and he sent this beautiful / hilarious story – http://bobulate.com/post/1189026655/once-a-little-boy-sent-me-a-charming-card-with-a …
- While all the dudes were fixing typos…
@jyhsu: “Why Mark Zuckerberg’s Parental Leave is so different from Marissa Mayer’s” by @krotondo https://medium.com/@krotondo/why-mark-zuckerberg-s-parental-leave-is-so-different-from-marissa-mayer-s-654450627117#.mw6h8gblj …
- On patience – What’s the secret of good writing? http://buff.ly/1RoNm9V
- Good example of the abstrelfie genre.
- 5 Quick, Easy Habits that Have Actually Strengthened My Relationships. http://buff.ly/1mopYwx /by
@danshapiro: I am tremendously excited to see what @KieranSnyder and Textio do next. I love this product. http://www.seattletimes.com/business/technology/textio-raises-8m-to-spread-recruiting-words-of-wisdom/ … by @rachelerman
- I love that
@lara_hogan was so real here – finding support as a new senior (woman) leader – http://buff.ly/1Iat8hn
- This from
@skamille is so important and helpful – Reorgs Happen – http://buff.ly/1O7qMMn
- My perfectly normal Friday night reading: http://www.date4j.net/
- The awesome
@moishel aka #7 lays it down on the meaningless bullshit that is the “hiring bar” – http://buff.ly/1Pa7KbM
- Super want to go back to HK now… brb checking flights – Top 10 Things to See and Do in HK http://buff.ly/1QRtz1i
- Famous Speech Friday-my favourite Eloquent Woman series! Followed since the start so exciti… http://buff.ly/1PfkQWW
- Incredible photos – Top 10 Landscape Photos of 2015 http://buff.ly/1OBQvxg