One of those weeks where I think about the phrase “you can have it all… just not at the same time.” Maybe you can’t even have it all that close together.
I’m finding this time in South America really useful – I feel far away from tech industry bullshit, but I’m in a convenient timezone to work with people in the US. It’s definitely a bit lonely at times but in a way that I think is – mostly – good for me. Although this weekend I really wish I was in the same place as a girlfriend!
Feel like a lot of things came together this week. I launched my iOS unit testing workshop, and sent out an alpha version of Show and Hide on Android. Also did some planning of other long-term projects, and some other stuff I can’t talk about yet.
One project I’m working on involves trying to get this large messy codebase under control. It’s a bit overwhelming but I feel like I am making some progress. I have been meaning to read Working Effectively with Legacy Code (Amazon) for a while so maybe this will finally get me to do that! Starting with simple things like file structure because OMG not everything should live in the home directory, and easy-to-fix warnings.
We did our biggest ever Technically Speaking webinar yet! And were plagued by technical problems.
Watching Gossip Girl – got way back into it, possibly too much so. Reading Professional Android 4 Application Development. Finished Pillow Talk, read The Woman Who Fell in Love for a Week (funny), reading Secrets.
Product links Amazon.
- Amsterdam, March 2015
- Launching! iOS Unit Testing: Beyond the Model
- Book: How to Sleep Well Every Night
A new edition of Technically Speaking is out.
On The Internet
- This looks fun! SheHacks 2015 from
@ggdsydney – http://buff.ly/1GwPw2f
- This is great! Short, powerful and to the point – Katharine Hayhoe’s climate change elevator pitch http://buff.ly/1IQGmeh /by
- Not entirely sure what this animal is but it is ADORABLE http://33.media.tumblr.com/72d1b811be848326c1a10cf0c8787a8f/tumblr_nmjx7ksktu1s2yegdo1_400.gif …
- Super helpful list of things to focus on when testing – http://buff.ly/1z3IZEh /via
@kwugirl /by @noahsussman
- “Women are leaving your tech company because you don’t deserve to keep us around.” – 2015: year of the table flip – http://tableflip.club/
- Great and thorough advice from
@jewelia – An Unconventional Guide for Getting a Software Engineering Job – http://buff.ly/1D5cbim
@nkkl is so wise – “If you’re going to hate yourself, at least have a good reason.” – http://buff.ly/1z3MzOS
@shanley pulls no punches – What Your Open Source Culture Really Says, Part One – http://buff.ly/1I0pLoc (I can’t wait for part 2)
@kecatlin and @femgineer share – Learn How to Speak Confidently & Catapult Your Career! http://buff.ly/1b05FjD
- Why Women in Tech Need to Start Flipping Tables – http://buff.ly/1Df9Cu0
- Bitingly witty – “Like all accounts of witch-hunts written by those who lead them, it’s about the author.” – http://buff.ly/1OwsZDT
- crazies.io – The mental toll of Silicon Valley’s quest for glory – http://buff.ly/1GW0M6X /by
- Sooooooo cute – Chipmunk’s morning stretch – http://buff.ly/1FBKFMW /via
- Sounds familiar – When women talk about their work with men, they are more disengaged. Reason? Stereotype threat. http://buff.ly/1CFdPn3
- So You’ve Been Called Out: A Handy Guide to Receiving Social Justice-Related Criticism on the Internet http://buff.ly/1NrPGfo /via
- “One male student… wouldn’t call on me when he had questions… wouldn’t even acknowledge that I was in the room.” http://buff.ly/1HjP1aO
@bhorowitz – “Focus on the little things and the big things will take care of themselves.” – http://buff.ly/1CARkkv /via @joshroman
- I’m tired of being scared too – Thoughts from a woman who posts on the Internet – http://buff.ly/1I9IVYR /by
@berkun on Burnout – http://buff.ly/1OBriFk
- As a tableflipper ’14, I welcome
@fatneckbeardguy to the club – Good stuff here on toxic cultures and effect on men – http://buff.ly/1D1yyC9
- Can’t decide encouraging/discouraging – “you don’t really have the faintest idea how you’re coming across to others” http://buff.ly/1Q1iVEy
- Programming sucks: “That program won a contest, because of course it did. Do you want to live in a world like this? No” http://buff.ly/1OeibIA