Last week in Berlin. Sad to leave, but looks like I’ll be back at the end of the month so that is something to look forward to.
Catching up with people before I leave, and had a couple of people come to visit, which was awesome.
Focusing on the workshop. So. Much. Work. But nearly there.
Gave a practise version of my Unit Testing: Beyond the Model talk at 6Wunderkinder.
Usual haunts: Roamers, Tabibito, Reisschale, Melbourne Canteen, Ron Telesky Canadian Pizza, Manouche.
Also Yumcha Heroes (so tasty), Café Fleury (amazing chocolate cake), Goodtime (super spicy thai), Fräulein Wild, Chaapa (lycheewein!)
Went to the Checkpoint Charlie museum which was cool – so many stories of the escapes from the DDR. People were so ingenious!
Also took a walk around Templehofer Park – an abandoned airfield not far from where I’ve been living. It’s a cool space, so huge but so central, but we had a lot of trouble trying to find out way out!
Finished watching Drop Dead Diva! Started watching Gossip Girl.
Reading a preview copy of Hot Seat which is fantastic – I’m really enjoying it. Also read The House We Grew Up In, great novel.
Product links Amazon.
I was quoted in the New York Times and Silicon Beat.
A new version of Technically Speaking is out.
I (and others) shared some predictions for 2015 on the
@skillsmatter blog – http://buff.ly/1Fw0P6s
On the Internet
- Good points here from
@b0rk – Don’t feel guilty about not contributing to open source – http://buff.ly/1w5OJSe
- Depressing – “The Glass Cliff” And 4 Other Ways Our Coworkers Treat Us Differently Because of Gender – http://buff.ly/1F3V4wN /via
- This by
@trodrigues is really helpful – https://gist.github.com/trodrigues/e77f8a95f06cc15427ad …
- This, by
@sarahmei, on the problems of diversity in tech is amazing. Focused on OSS, but applies more widely – http://buff.ly/1a335sD
- This is really good – Women are leaving the tech industry in droves – http://buff.ly/1D2dRGn /by
- This is so true – Your Job Is Not to Write Code – http://buff.ly/1ElXjxz /via
@mrtazz /by @lauraklein
- Breaking news: Linus uses g+?!?!? https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=c517d838eb7d07bbe9507871fab3931deccff539 …
- “Software is neutral” https://twitter.com/catehstn/status/570143962301771776
- Great story – My Jaw-Dropped, Ah-Ha Manager Moment – http://buff.ly/1ztf9Jm /by
- Ten things feminism has ruined for me – http://buff.ly/17J52bF /via
- I love this by
@kelseyinnis so much, read it, or if you have already, read again – On the Wadhwa Within, and Leaving http://buff.ly/1AjSeE4
- Love this by
@fatneckbeardguy on his thoughts about parenting and raising trans-kids by default – http://buff.ly/1Em1fyo
- This is huge, I’m cheering for Ellen – What’s Really at Stake in Ellen Pao’s Kleiner Perkins Lawsuit – http://buff.ly/17z6aPt
- Really do not know what I think about this – Finding a mate isn’t luck. It’s about setting a goal and reaching it. http://buff.ly/1JCdICk
- This is awesome – “Famous Speech Friday: Charlotte Church’s lecture on sexism in music” http://buff.ly/1BN1iDB
- “Why we reveal more than we realise” – http://buff.ly/1BlFgbl
- I love Private Moon, have fond memories if seeing it IRL in London – http://buff.ly/1A1J2Q9
- “I don’t know where writers get the idea that sexual assault causes sociopathy in survivors, but it’s lazy bullshit” http://buff.ly/18ldHT6
- This is awesome – Sans Bullshit Sans — Leveraging the synergy of ligatures – http://buff.ly/17AVnUT /via
- I’m skeptical of programs for “getting more women” that are mostly “get the women we have to work on this” – http://buff.ly/1JU24Da
- So interesting – Famous Speech Friday: Patricia Arquette’s Oscar speech & history lesson – http://buff.ly/1BGwPaR
- “Throw yourself at every opportunity and you’ll end up doing unimportant stuff – and badly.” http://buff.ly/1vNyskl