Rushed couple of days in Toronto, the annual madness of GHC was even busier than usual as I ended up live tweeting some things which got some press attention. Was awesome to see so many of my technical woman friends, including a couple from Australia. Then headed back to Canada, this time KW for some needed R&R.
Read Shanley Kane’s Your Startup is Broken, which is fantastic. Filled some lengthy plane journeys with Bath Tangle, Black Sheep, Black Moth, and (still ongoing) Beauvallet.
Stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn downtown Toronto, great location, nice place, although I don’t consider a 5×5 swimming pool to be a swimming pool as much as an unheated hot-tub. Got to drink Cha Time iced tea again for the first time in nearly a year which I was very excited by! Had great breakfasts at Le Gourmand Cafe and ate sushi at To Ne Sushi and HoSu Bistro.
In Phoenix I stayed at the Westin and did not have time to check out the pool.
Back in KW, more sushi at Watami and also went to Ben Thanh.
Storify: #ghcmanwatch, #ghcmanwatch mark 2, my GHC talk.
Also quoted in: ThinkProgress, my tweets used in Salon, USA Today, news clip.
On The Internet
- Feel this, on being overwhelmed by life, wracked with self doubt, fixating on one thing where you have most control http://buff.ly/1x7Dy7r
- “There’s no point being the richest guy in the cemetery” – one more year syndrome – http://buff.ly/1pxUz5C /via
@petewarden, I agree – Why nerd culture must die – http://buff.ly/1vDyRRC
- Take on the GHC Male allies panel from the moderator, Penny Herscher – Men Play a Key Role in Helping Women in Tech – http://buff.ly/1yHNkBC
@ellenchisa asks “Do I need to be technical to be a PM?” That curiosity is a good measure of PMs with tech cred IMO http://buff.ly/1yFg3Hq
- Good from study hacks on interrupt driven work: How We Sent a Man to the Moon Without E-mail and Why it Matters Today http://buff.ly/1xcvKRR
- On the toxic nature of some OSS communities, and harassment (experienced by a dude!) http://buff.ly/1oKeyhr /via
- @SarahM: Kathy Sierra on why she’s taken @seriouspony offline: http://seriouspony.com/trouble-at-the-koolaid-point …. She emailed this to just a few people, would like it shared.
- On Ebay’s work (since 2010) to improve representation of women – Realizing the power of talented women – http://buff.ly/1BJmzca
- Me too. “As I age, I fully intend to give fewer and fewer fucks about how I’m supposed to be” http://buff.ly/1s5nNOe
- This this this by
@ellenchisa – I have similarly feared I’m not cut out to be an eng – “Career Fit” – http://buff.ly/1s5aHBw
#ghcmanwatch #ghc14 https://twitter.com/lindseybieda/status/520039729094348801
- So true @juliepagano “Life and Times of a Tech Feminist Killjoy: The Cuts Leave Scars” http://buff.ly/1yJLsbL
- I love pinned tweets, because now this one has got to 100 rts. I want this test to be a thing! https://twitter.com/catehstn/status/499662459264069636 …
- Omg this – On sexism, sexual assault and the threat of the ‘non-bro’ – http://buff.ly/1Eq5ckQ /via
- This cat is sooooooooooo happy, thanks
@amycao https://twitter.com/amycao/status/520379501587726336 …
- I kinda think this msft pay karma thing has been a bit harsh, but this is hilarious. https://twitter.com/dannysullivan/status/520365710128594945 …
- @concernedfems: We keep fighting because of people like Julie. http://juliepagano.com/blog/2014/10/10/life-and-times-of-a-tech-feminist-killjoy-you-cant-go-back-theres-no-end-in-sight/ … we work to build better community so that one day she might come back.
- This is good, on hiring programmers – I don’t hire unlucky people http://buff.ly/1yKBnv9 /via
- @rachelsklar: Here’s
@cmwalla on gma from #GHC14, along with a tweet from @catehstn who has been live-tweeting… http://instagram.com/p/t-X34KrhSb/
- @marjahn: UGH, so glad
@catehstn was there to capture it all: @Microsoft CEO to women: Don’t ask for a raise http://www.salon.com/2014/10/09/microsoft_ceo_to_women_dont_ask_for_a_raise_trust_the_system_and_karma/ … via @Salon
- @jgoldfein: Look in the mirror before you rush to judge
@satyanadella https://medium.com/@jocelyngoldfein/techs-meritocracy-problem-a6e5e0a56157 …
- Women In Tech Explain Why A Tech Conference For Women Went Awry And How To Make It Better – http://buff.ly/1vXt4bR
- @senthorun: FYI: Here’s a handy comic to use whenever you have to explain why “reverse racism” is not a thing. https://twitter.com/senthorun/status/520748296076148736
@catehstn serious cuteness! “ @fabulousanimals: How dinosaurs went extinct” https://twitter.com/thartmanning/status/520453492758966272
@catehstn @whereistanya @hedgehogdays Can’t get over the cute of: https://twitter.com/deannawol/status/520628455076282368
- This storify by
@avflox of what when down @ghc with #ghcmanwatch #ghc14 is FANTASTIC http://buff.ly/1z1H5Jd
- Thanks for writing this,
@anildash – The tech diversity story that’s not being told. http://buff.ly/1z1v5qU