Rushed couple of days in Toronto, the annual madness of GHC was even busier than usual as I ended up live tweeting some things which got some press attention. Was awesome to see so many of my technical woman friends, including a couple from Australia. Then headed back to Canada, this time KW for some needed R&R.
Stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn downtown Toronto, great location, nice place, although I don’t consider a 5×5 swimming pool to be a swimming pool as much as an unheated hot-tub. Got to drink Cha Time iced tea again for the first time in nearly a year which I was very excited by! Had great breakfasts at Le Gourmand Cafe and ate sushi at To Ne Sushi and HoSu Bistro.
In Phoenix I stayed at the Westin and did not have time to check out the pool.
On The Internet
- Feel this, on being overwhelmed by life, wracked with self doubt, fixating on one thing where you have most control http://buff.ly/1x7Dy7r
- “There’s no point being the richest guy in the cemetery” – one more year syndrome – http://buff.ly/1pxUz5C /via
@petewarden, I agree – Why nerd culture must die – http://buff.ly/1vDyRRC
- Take on the GHC Male allies panel from the moderator, Penny Herscher – Men Play a Key Role in Helping Women in Tech – http://buff.ly/1yHNkBC
@ellenchisa asks “Do I need to be technical to be a PM?” That curiosity is a good measure of PMs with tech cred IMO http://buff.ly/1yFg3Hq
- Good from study hacks on interrupt driven work: How We Sent a Man to the Moon Without E-mail and Why it Matters Today http://buff.ly/1xcvKRR
- On the toxic nature of some OSS communities, and harassment (experienced by a dude!) http://buff.ly/1oKeyhr /via
- @SarahM: Kathy Sierra on why she’s taken @seriouspony offline: http://seriouspony.com/trouble-at-the-koolaid-point …. She emailed this to just a few people, would like it shared.
- On Ebay’s work (since 2010) to improve representation of women – Realizing the power of talented women – http://buff.ly/1BJmzca
- Me too. “As I age, I fully intend to give fewer and fewer fucks about how I’m supposed to be” http://buff.ly/1s5nNOe
- This this this by
@ellenchisa – I have similarly feared I’m not cut out to be an eng – “Career Fit” – http://buff.ly/1s5aHBw
#ghcmanwatch #ghc14 https://twitter.com/lindseybieda/status/520039729094348801
- So true @juliepagano “Life and Times of a Tech Feminist Killjoy: The Cuts Leave Scars” http://buff.ly/1yJLsbL
- I love pinned tweets, because now this one has got to 100 rts. I want this test to be a thing! https://twitter.com/catehstn/status/499662459264069636 …
- Omg this – On sexism, sexual assault and the threat of the ‘non-bro’ – http://buff.ly/1Eq5ckQ /via
- This cat is sooooooooooo happy, thanks
@amycao https://twitter.com/amycao/status/520379501587726336 …
- I kinda think this msft pay karma thing has been a bit harsh, but this is hilarious. https://twitter.com/dannysullivan/status/520365710128594945 …
- @concernedfems: We keep fighting because of people like Julie. http://juliepagano.com/blog/2014/10/10/life-and-times-of-a-tech-feminist-killjoy-you-cant-go-back-theres-no-end-in-sight/ … we work to build better community so that one day she might come back.
- This is good, on hiring programmers – I don’t hire unlucky people http://buff.ly/1yKBnv9 /via
- @rachelsklar: Here’s
@cmwalla on gma from #GHC14, along with a tweet from @catehstn who has been live-tweeting… http://instagram.com/p/t-X34KrhSb/
- @marjahn: UGH, so glad
@catehstn was there to capture it all: @Microsoft CEO to women: Don’t ask for a raise http://www.salon.com/2014/10/09/microsoft_ceo_to_women_dont_ask_for_a_raise_trust_the_system_and_karma/ … via @Salon
- @jgoldfein: Look in the mirror before you rush to judge
@satyanadella https://medium.com/@jocelyngoldfein/techs-meritocracy-problem-a6e5e0a56157 …
- Women In Tech Explain Why A Tech Conference For Women Went Awry And How To Make It Better – http://buff.ly/1vXt4bR
- @senthorun: FYI: Here’s a handy comic to use whenever you have to explain why “reverse racism” is not a thing. https://twitter.com/senthorun/status/520748296076148736
@catehstn serious cuteness! “ @fabulousanimals: How dinosaurs went extinct” https://twitter.com/thartmanning/status/520453492758966272
@catehstn @whereistanya @hedgehogdays Can’t get over the cute of: https://twitter.com/deannawol/status/520628455076282368
- This storify by
@avflox of what when down @ghc with #ghcmanwatch #ghc14 is FANTASTIC http://buff.ly/1z1H5Jd
- Thanks for writing this,
@anildash – The tech diversity story that’s not being told. http://buff.ly/1z1v5qU