Mainly jetlagged, moping about the end of the world, and sick. A friend came to visit, which was nice. Managed to join a gym and find a cute tea shop to work in.
Show & Hide is now free on the app store.
Started work at Automattic, spent my first week (of three) in support which was interesting.
Still reading Georgette Heyer, re-watching Drop Dead Diva – love that show. Also reading Thinking Fast and Slow.
Product links Amazon.
A new edition of Technically Speaking is out.
I made the WTHIC letter I sent from XQP public. It’s a love letter to a woman who wants.
On the Internet
- I cried watching this. I just love Hillary so much
- Yes, your team should be blogging – http://buff.ly/2fNDmeE /by
- omg, I die – Honest Diversity in Tech Report – http://buff.ly/2frhCki /via
- “as if there is something wrong with wanting to see a woman become president after 44 men have had a go at it”
- So true – Roxane Gay Lists 13 Rules for Female Friendships – http://buff.ly/2ez3UhR /via
@skamille with whom I try to obey all these rules
@travis_fnd: “Inclusion is the potential to include everyone, not the inclusion of everyone.” Why HR Shouldn’t Own Inclusion: https://t.co/J5hlMNesCh
- Love this talk on saying no and why it’s important for healthy communities – http://buff.ly/2fr8EDQ /by
- Usually these articles just make me angry. But this one is actually quite good. How Meetup Ditched Its Boys Club https://t.co/TAPO31xopu
- I like this way of thinking about continuous learning – Paying Down Technical Knowledge Debt – http://buff.ly/2eBpXV7 /by
@mennenia wrote about travelling solo and it’s BEAUTFUL – http://buff.ly/2fslLWX
@realscientists: Q: Cuddling? A: Petting a happy hedgehog is like petting a hairbrush. Snuggling an irate hedgehog is like cuddling a sentient cactus.
- Ahhh woke up to this and I feel like I can face the day “Hedgehogs 101” by
@mikamckinnon – thanks @biochembelle https://t.co/7CGdEU8sWk
- On bias and survival – Women Don’t Make The Best Product Managers – http://buff.ly/2eC3MOu /by
@j_c_fitz: It’s time for the Electoral College to serve its true purpose: a kill switch http://www.factcheck.org/2008/02/the-reason-for-the-electoral-college/ …
- Why’s that company so big? I could do that in a weekend http://buff.ly/2eD0jQ5 /by
- This is super great on asking good questions – http://buff.ly/2ftx9lg /by
@b0rk /via @SashaLaundy
@triketora: Farewell, America https://t.co/fL5LxnjkNL
- This is great – on being discouraged, and figuring things out – Learning How to Learn – http://buff.ly/2fSRkMb /by
@iam_preethi /via @lrnrd
@mipsytipsy: go back and read this piece on illiberal democracy, Brexit, and Trump. still the best i’ve read on our plight. https://t.co/18UCQ4Tf6I
@baconandcoconut: Great article on talk feedback via @techspeakdigest http://eloquentwoman.blogspot.com/2016/10/lets-stop-tormenting-speakers-about.html?m=1 … tldr: you don’t have to take feedback from randos.
@amyngyn: well, i waited 24 hours and i was still angry, so: I just published “Shut the fuck up about diversity of thought” https://t.co/xGNyHmIj9m
@garannm: Been thinking a lot this week about recovering from disastrous decisions, so I wrote about leaving tech: http://garann.com/dev/2016/wish-you-would-step-back-from-that-ledge-my-friend/ …
- This is amazing. On why games are boring, yes, but also on the importance of empathy and diversity – http://buff.ly/2fWpheT /via