I arranged things so that I could disconnect for most of October, deciding to also not do any public writing (just WTHIC). I achieved a long term life goal of visiting Tuvalu (the only ever public WTHIC). It was good to get so far away from everything (it took 4 days to get to Tuvalu), and have the flight out as a deadline that was a forcing function to complete things before I left, or not do them at all. I feel so much better for having this time to myself. I hoped that I would use it to be creative, but I didn’t. I used it to explore, and relax. I read a lot of novels. I slept a lot.
I was a judge for a startup competition and did some work on Technically Speaking.
Sent WTHIC letters from BUD, LHR, FUN, SUV, NAN, and SYD.
Four new issues of Technically Speaking [Oct 4], [Oct 11] [Oct 18] [Oct25].
On the Internet
- How To Respond To Well-Intentioned But Unsolicited Advice – http://buff.ly/2didwzX /by
- 💔 Colombia Peace Deal Is Defeated, Leaving a Nation in Shock https://t.co/UXnAL1th5m
- “There is no One Amazing Trick This Feminist Used To Finally Move Past Her Body Image Issues” http://buff.ly/2dncMpD /via
@lara_hogan: I am THRILLED to announce my new book, Demystifying Public Speaking. https://t.co/uzVEzDiHpx
- Love tip about posting what you’ve achieved at the end of the day! Remote and distributed engineering http://buff.ly/2dRgA4w /by
- This is so insightful – The three exclamation point problem – http://buff.ly/2dBXFY1 /by
@timoni /via @ellenchisa
@EricaJoy: Come children, gather round for a demonstration on the proper execution of @FLOTUS level shade.
- On Phone Numbers and Identity – https://t.co/5S3R2mHZ0i
@anarcharaccoon: It is well to remember, “Austerity” is just a euphemism for Class War. We have the means to provide abundantly for all. #Anarchy
- Well this is raw. Being Single Is Great, Except for When You Really Want to Be Married http://buff.ly/2dkwGme /via
- Fascinating (lots of good questions here) – The One Question You Should Ask About Every New Job http://buff.ly/2dRpbnG via
@xorhearts: The most on-point thing I’ve read about Clinton/Trump. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/larry-womack/stop-pretending-you-dont-_b_12191766.html
@K_Boronska: Brilliant. #Brexit.
@kthorjensen: Good job, boys. This one will sink her for sure.
- Haven’t seen her movies but loved this: Jennifer Lawrence Is Determined, Hilarious, and—Above All—Real http://buff.ly/2dxFYvO /via
- This is a GREAT test and some excellent advice – How Fucked Up is Your Management? http://buff.ly/2cLWpVL /by
@johnath /via @EricaJoy
@ariabuckles: Hacker news on hiring women in tech. I’m dying
@roguelynn: At what point is it harassment? ಠ_ಠ
- “a deep unfairness [is] poor performance can be multi-dimensional, but employees bear the brunt of the consequence” https://t.co/1iU3f2dLnc
@jessicaelgot: I’m being stripped of my citizenship – finally someone other than @IanDunt talks about this https://t.co/wrD0iFj2Vk
- Top 10 Best Airports in The World (I’m at 8/10! Need to travel more) http://buff.ly/2d32xUP /via
- Ahhh such a good explanation of why republicans are finally denouncing trump. Thanks
@williampietri ! https://m.facebook.com/williamp/posts/10107156801284673 …
- This is full of 🔥🔥🔥 on what /really/ gets discussed in locker rooms by
@ChrisWarcraft http://buff.ly/2dMcYPN /via @triketora
- This is helpful – On Writing Product Specs http://buff.ly/2e1VDW3 /by
@goberoi /via @orenellenbogen
- “If you can’t see the path to reaching your full potential, you probably won’t be able to help others reach theirs.” https://t.co/SwYhmmagUL
@buritica: I just published “Announcing Char.la — Helping bridge the Spanish speaking tech knowledge gap” https://t.co/giklxJ6nhc
- This is good on brilliant jerks, we all know it but it never happens. The Biggest Mistake I Ever Made https://t.co/nh4FX7dwpz
- Woah. Stop Taking Pride In Not Knowing How To Do Basic Shit http://buff.ly/2dIAoGo /via
- This is amazing, and so so helpful. Work at different management levels http://buff.ly/2efttE8 /by
@codeascraft: How can men be allies for diversity and inclusion in tech? @scarletdrive and @indec talk theory and practice: https://t.co/NTGrMtQ0uN
- I love this post from
@anna_debenham about making hedgehogs welcome ❣️ http://buff.ly/2evSvhj
@BinAnimals: Always #wrongtowork
- This is interesting. Developer hiring and the market for lemons – http://buff.ly/2drJcwG /by
@danluu /via @steve_codes
- I love Michelle Obama so much – what a great Famous Speech Friday – http://buff.ly/2ecXPu3 /by
- “When we build things – we must think of the things our life doesn’t necessitate. Because someones life does.” https://t.co/1A8KPYBnS5
- easy to see progress of meaningless short-term tasks; difficult to see progress for long-term, creative projects – https://t.co/lSaFNCwdGW
@TessaJeanMiller: Don’t threaten me with a good time
- On the Design of Women’s Spaces – http://buff.ly/2etveiq /by
@maybekatz’s /via @NatDudley
- This is so interesting, and helpful – What Great Listeners Actually Do – http://buff.ly/2dNdNby /via
- Woah. Unexpectedly honest – The Easy Failure of Professional Male Feminism – http://buff.ly/2dzwSug /by
@chrismohney /via @dearsarah
- This is full of wisdom on time management and focus – http://buff.ly/2eXv04D /via
- What does your hiring process say about your company? – So you’re looking to hire? http://buff.ly/2eHUa1T /by
- This is great from
@marcprecipice – Management in ten tweets – https://t.co/1MCZvN0O62
@polotek: Turned my earlier tweetstorm into a moment. “It’s never “just politics”” https://t.co/eFDkmLloJA
One reply on “October”
[…] October […]
[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The comment’s server IP (126.96.36.199) doesn’t match the comment’s URL host IP (188.8.131.52) and so is spam.