Getting used to the altitude and trying to find a rhythm where I swim in the evening. Went to the spa which I really needed. Trying to be better about one day a week no computer, and getting back to reading a novel a week. Last weekend I went to the Botanical Gardens.
I bought myself some flowers which is nice – been a long time since I was still for long enough to have flowers, and jam (approaching Peak Domestication here), and also a new swim suit and a bunch of stuff from Clinique.
We reopened sales of Technically Speaking tshirts, available until February 24th.
I’m speaking at Self.Conference in Detroit in May! Super excited about this.
Went to In Situ restaurant at the Botanical Gardens, which was nice, and La Provincia which was a lovely way to follow the spa. Had brunch at Ganso and Castor, which was lovely, and where I found the jam.
Still reading One Strategy, watching How I Met Your Mother season 5. Read All The Difference (loved this – about how one choice changes things, or doesn’t), and The One That Got Away (I liked this, until it got to the woman didn’t believe in man who had previously behaved badly, had to make up for it).
Product links Amazon.
- Presenting Lessons from Walking Tours
- Categories Considered Harmful
- NSConf – Jessie Char – Expert of Nothing
A new edition of Technically Speaking is out.
On the Internet
- My view all day! So pretty 🙂 and I was v productive.
- Yay I am so excited when women say no to thankless emotional labour. Creates space for them to be awesome!
- Woah. https://igcdn-photos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xat1/t51.2885-15/e35/12534628_1040335449323237_2090418469_n.jpg.html
@stillinbeta: @catehstn http://i.imgur.com/lXSxWxE.webm
- Interesting – on the “culture fit” interview and things men will say to women – http://buff.ly/1ZZiqNt /via
- This is amazing and you should read it – Seven Leadership Lessons for Minorities (And Everyone Else) – http://buff.ly/1QxUePO /via
- On having engineers do support rotations – Everyone Should Be Feeling the Customer’s Pain – http://buff.ly/1nDRJ5j /by
- !!!!!! My adored Petunia wearing her adorable tiny Colombian accessory. With a tiny Petunia-sized bowl!!!!!!!!
- “Just because you’re not irreplaceable doesn’t mean you’re not valuable.” – love this from
@indec on sabbaticals – http://buff.ly/1OX2Oac
- Made me think – on code review – http://buff.ly/1Qz9b3W /via
- Buried lede on PoC and emotional labour – How ‘Service With a Smile’ Takes a Toll on Working Women – http://buff.ly/1OY4RuD /v
- I wonder if these guys will be as active in other areas of parenting? Like diapers and cleaning up vomit?
- This is insightful, helpful – Underestimate your Programming Abilities http://buff.ly/1NInU8l /by
@fronx /via @janl
- Behind the scenes of pipeline programs at Howard and their limited efficacy – http://buff.ly/1SQUexJ
- “For most women, it’s a waste of time to have bad sex with some guy you don’t know” ~
@girlziplocked – http://buff.ly/1SsRmpc
@TrustySupport: Did you know that we won’t do anything if someone impersonates you? We’ll protect them! But if you impersonate us…
- “Don’t let the existential dread set in”
- Men: please stop telling women what is and isn’t threatening. You have NFI and most women learn this young.
@MayaGoodfellow: Wendy Cope – for all the mansplainers out there
- This is an amazing story from
@beerops – On Showing Up to the Table – http://buff.ly/1P4UbdJ
- @peterseibel : @catehstn In case you didn’t get a sufficient dose or adorbs yesterday.
- This is such a great interview with the amazing
@ericajoy – http://buff.ly/1PxT1cg
- This is amazing and wonderful and true – How to Be Friends With Another Woman – http://buff.ly/1WV118L /via
- Hedgie ilu
@techspeakdigest t-shirts are available for a limited time only! https://teespring.com/technically-speaking-first … Excellent to wear on stage or to meetings!
- Awwwh – British Homeowners Build A New Superhighway — For Hedgehogs http://buff.ly/1Su5dM8 /via
- Amazing (3 in Singapore!) – Top 10 Incredible Geometric Structures http://buff.ly/1PxR0gj
- Worth reading and thinking about – The Highest-Leverage Activities Aren’t Always Deep Work http://buff.ly/1UI0k1c /via
- Found a new story on the capture of the wolf. Oddly, I can only find news stories in German. http://www.n-tv.de/ticker/Erster-Wolf-in-Kolumbien-gefangen-article16927296.html …
- THIS: Fathers: maybe stop mentioning your daughters to earn credibility on women’s issues http://buff.ly/20FzGto /b
@joelarson4 /v @DBNess
- Since this came up twice yesterday – how I get myself uninvited from unflattering speaking invitations. http://buff.ly/1UQHXqZ
- In which
@coda captures why i am so much more reticent and perfectionist about technical posts – http://buff.ly/1PuOqaH
@SIGKILL: in which a Twitter developer finally discovers Twitter
- This is how I feel this morning
- Right on
@r343l, taking on one reason why homogenity numbers have barely moved – Good Intentions Fail at Scale – http://buff.ly/1PYHXAU
@skamille: Just in time for your weekend, a new Frog and Toad are Cofounders: “The Runway” by @arthegall https://medium.com/frog-and-toad-are-cofounders/the-runway-9b28e3c4bf29#.4iboiwiks …
- “If you’re going to harass people for science bear in mind that they may science your harassment.” http://buff.ly/1PYnoVg /via
- Must read from
@ihavenotea – “My career has become an A/B Test in gender. With the clear “winner” being male.” http://buff.ly/20FB5QP
- Queen Bey
@r343l: Slack is raising the bar on tech diversity transparency. The bar is still low and most companies are on the floor. http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/02/diversity-slack/459810/ …
- Ahhh happy little petunia I love you
- Since CfP season is well underway, here’s my process for writing an abstract – http://buff.ly/1SZ2ETI