Packed up and caught 3 planes to Colombia. Bit wrung out emotionally from various things, although not least that. Went to the gym quite a bit, which was good, and got a massage which was… very needed.
Mostly trying to tie up loose ends and finish things.
Went to Birmingham and had dim sum at Chung Ying (amazing). Also had juice at Joe and the Juice which was so yummy.
Spent my first night in Medellin at Hotel Movich, because it’s close to the airport. Managed to spend a couple of hours at the Museo de Antioquia, which was cool. Botero is one of my favourite artists and they have a huge collection of his work that he donated to them. I had lunch at La Provincia, which was super nice.
Finished Giving Notice (eye opening book), and The Best of Enemies (started off annoying, but got better and I really liked it). Also read Beyond Blame.
All caught up with The Kardashians, and watching How I Met Your Mother Season 4.
Product links Amazon.
- Start a Project. Kill a Project. Also on Medium.
- OCMock and Values
- Book: Giving Notice: Why the Best and Brightest are Leaving the Workplace and How You Can Help them Stay
A new edition of Technically Speaking is out.
I collected up the responses and added some commentary – What I Wish I Knew About Bias.
I ran a little survey about mentoring requests and the results were very interesting.
On the Internet
- Looks like they are having a good time imo – This crow gives zero fucks. http://buff.ly/1JBXZ1A /via
@NatashaTheRobot: New Blog Post: Writing Better Code with Custom Subscripts in Swift #swiftlang http://natashatherobot.com/custom-subscripts-swift/ …
- What an adorable little raccoon! And she likes donuts! Like
@CodeNewbies‘s podcast with @brwngrldev talking about being an Android developer! http://buff.ly/22tpPc3
- “Photographs and essays and novels and the rest can change your life; they are dangerous.” http://buff.ly/1OmGjIv /via
- This is accurate.
@lara_hogan: Inspired by @beerops‘ great year end reflection post, I decided to write a belated one: http://larahogan.me/blog/2014-2015/
- Big company vs. startup work and pay – best bit IMO is footnote #5 – http://buff.ly/1QPkCYj /by
@RobDrimmie: When @catehstn is right (which is always) she’s right! https://twitter.com/catehstn/status/684024413407297536 …
@RachaelKrishna: This raccoon accidentally dissolving candy floss is a welcome start to raccoons of 2016. https://vine.co/v/ibFH7bQVaHK
- The Seven Righteous Fights – http://buff.ly/1NI6Gvg /via
- As usual,
@skamille is very wise (and now I understand more of her tricks) – Debug your Career: Ask for Advice – http://buff.ly/1JCiFGO
- Very inspired by Diana’s thoughts on Forever Projects
- Interesting – Engineers can’t gauge their own interview performance. And that makes them harder to hire. http://buff.ly/1JCj4Jc
- (Not) All Men – Why women want to believe Our Dudes are the exception – http://buff.ly/1NIQGZQ /via
@Kusmeroglu who shares my love of raccoons washing things with their little hands
- omg if I had a home I would want one of these – http://buff.ly/1Ps7Lb2
@glowforge: Glowforge just joined the National Center for Women & Information Technology Entrepreneurial Alliance. @NCWIT does amazing work.
@ShowAndHide: Created using Show and Hide #showandhide http://buff.ly/1JVqBDf
@Kusmeroglu: @catehstn Not quite where you were, but close! In Vegas for CES #showandhide
@tgrevatt: My first #ShowAndHide image! Cheers @catehstn
@antondollmaier: For @catehstn – this could be of your interest 🙂
@ShowAndHide: Created using Show and Hide #showandhide http://buff.ly/1OxlONI
@ShowAndHide: Adult world. No comment.
@ThisIsPumpkin: Can I tell you a secret Toffee?
- 2 senior devs tried a junior dev interview question, 6 hours later: still not finished (ex of terrible interview Q) http://buff.ly/1OnAvOM
@sarahsharp: “Allies need to create social consequences for assholes. Refuse to be a bystander and start calling things out.” http://www.cate.blog/2014/12/31/sigh/ …
@kwugirl: +1 @catehstn on projects! “should it fail it will fail in a new way that I cannot predict” http://bit.ly/1JWF0Pw
@brainwane made an adorable hedgie zine with @BrendanAdkins called Quill & Scroll –http://buff.ly/1IAGIec
I think this person wants to use their
@glowforge for evil! http://buff.ly/1JGxVT7 /via @aeva_io
@juliaferraioli: I bought socks. I especially like the flowers.
@buritica: This country was just named the happiest in the world, again http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/this-country-was-just-named-the-happiest-in-the-world-again_568c0ce4e4b0b958f65d1d7a …
@ShowAndHide: Created using Show and Hide #showandhide http://buff.ly/1Oxm4fF
- I love China, and this reminds me that there are so many places left for me to explore there – http://buff.ly/1mOc6fm
- No discussion of the problems of “mentoring” as a catch all is complete without this post by my friend
@dianakimball https://themanual.org/read/issues/4/diana-kimball/article …
@aeva_io: #cesbyaeva #ambitious slogan
- Oh I LOVE this page on
@lizmrush‘s site about how to make good requests from her! http://buff.ly/1OzzUQu
- Incredible honesty here from
@randfish – My Complicated Relationship with No Longer Being CEO – http://buff.ly/1OAFulv /via @roidrage
@ShowAndHide: Created using Show and Hide #showandhide http://buff.ly/1R9m1Zy
- On declared and actual incentives – People can read their manager’s mind http://buff.ly/1YVGKPJ /via
@ShowAndHide: Created using Show and Hide #showandhide http://buff.ly/1Z5FDm7
@ThisIsPumpkin: Cuddle goals 2016
- Women in Seattle – the GDG event in Jan is focused on women speakers! Looks fun! http://buff.ly/1ODSRQb
- “pay close attention to how it feels to use your own functions, and change them if they don’t make intuitive sense.” http://buff.ly/1ODoY4o
@ShowAndHide: [pic] Created using Show and Hide #showandhide http://buff.ly/1Z5FOOh
@triketora: [pic] “What Do Jason Calacanis, Marc Andreessen and Vivek Wadhwa All Have in Common?” by @girlziplocked https://medium.com/@girlziplocked/what-do-jason-calacanis-marc-andreessen-and-vivek-wadhwa-all-have-in-common-f0286f5fdbd4#.gz9esalqk …
@DuncanAstle: This is the best Clinton-Blair exchange that I have read so far… you could not make it up.
@ShowAndHide: [pic] Created using Show and Hide #showandhide http://buff.ly/1JVrETw
- I am glad to see men writing these articles, but I feel like women have been saying these things for a /long/ time – http://buff.ly/1ZKj5nP