In Paris for New Year’s, came for some solitude and culture. I’m enjoying the break from the intensity and that other people are also on a break and making a point to connect with friends online, if not IRL! Nice to get back into the gym again, too!
Trying to figure out how one packs to kinda but not exactly move to South America for 6 months. Which mainly means: worrying but doing very little about it. I did manage to cancel 2 gym memberships though, which is something.
I registered the domain wherethehelliscate.com, which I’m redirecting to a newsletter I started. The idea: in 2016, I send a note from everywhere I leave. Maybe just a picture and a favourite place (like a digital postcard!), maybe more.
Bit of hiring stuff and logistics (travel, ai), but mostly focusing on personal projects. Sent out a new Android build of Show and Hide (finally), and trying to finish and close some loops on things.
Read The Royal We (quite sweet), started re-reading Uncertainty, but decided I didn’t need to re-read it (probably not helped by accidentally starting 2/3 of the way through) and now reading Giving Notice: Why the Best and Brightest are Leaving the Workplace and How You Can Help them Stay (eye opening).
Product links Amazon.
On the Internet
- Love this – Being older allows women to tell it like it really is – http://buff.ly/1YHFRu5
- “I did not want to die in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania doing work I didn’t enjoy for a megacorp that frustrated me.” http://buff.ly/1PoWVo7
- I like this, but more accurate would be to substitute “tech” with “in the Bay Area”.
@lara_hogan: Inspired by @catehstn‘s post on moving into eng management, I wrote about transitioning into meta-management: http://larahogan.me/blog/transition-meta-management/ …
- Basically the same ones I had – 10 Haunting Questions I Have After Watching My First Star Wars Movie – http://buff.ly/1QTxFYm
- “To give yourself permission to fail, you have to untangle your ego from your work.” http://buff.ly/1mFjxW6 /by
- Yay! I took some cool
#showandhide pics there 🙂
#showandhide #showandhide sunflowers
- Super interesting – Ditching Scrum for Kanban — The best decision we’ve made as a team – http://buff.ly/1Vj3hWu /by
@saladinahmed: HUMANS: revolution just isn’t possible in this country BIRDS: you fucking cowards
@CuteEmergency: Raccoon taking a bath oh my gosh
- Awwh seasonal hedgies on tiny trains http://buff.ly/1JHh6Ye /via
- Reminder that I spent ~2.5 obsessing about color and you can finally buy the iOS manifestation on iTunes – http://buff.ly/1NTCawi
- “At a tactical level, the risks of managerial action far outweigh the risks of inaction.” http://buff.ly/1JAgi7q /by
- This is fantastic – Against Chill – http://buff.ly/1Ivrmrr /via
- Love this, on friendship – Why I Am Addicted to Friendship Affairs, And Why it Has Nothing to Do With My Marriage – http://buff.ly/1mFFsfT
- How to Make the Leap from Engineer to Manager – http://buff.ly/1QSi1N1 /by
@kfrugia /via @kwugirl
@skamille: Wrote some idle NYE musings, “What is a technology company, really?” https://medium.com/@skamille/what-is-a-technology-company-really-31df54887f98#.lmyaj9uqa …
- Working Remotely as a Junior Developer – http://buff.ly/1Pp9ttH /by
- “a woman who got every misogynist trick in the world thrown at her, and who didn’t let it slow her down” http://buff.ly/1Vknkns ~
- This is great – Slightly Less Awful Hiring for Engineering Talent – http://buff.ly/1IvWo2x /by
- I think most interesting here is the way accountability is defined – scaling a product team http://buff.ly/1mH92lf /via
- Real talk here – 11 Brutally Honest Reasons Why Millennials Don’t Want Kids – http://buff.ly/1Ot0evH /via
- Super useful – How to read a patent in 60 seconds – http://buff.ly/1YJzhmI /by
- omg hedgie http://buff.ly/1YJEVWe /via