Started the week in Seattle, where I got to catch up with friends (yay!), then headed to Medellin, Colombia, and finished the week at Toronto airport for the last 2 flights back to Europe. I was feeling like I had transcended sleep and food, but then I was a little bit poisoned by peanuts and that left me feeling a bit wrung out. I got to hang out with my friend Linda at the airport though, which was awesome! People in general have been very kind to me this week, so I have warm fuzzies about the world.
Spent time with Glowforge and we did a #ladiesandlasers event, which was super fun. Some other stuff that I’m not ready to talk about publicly yet.
Really looking forward to November being Hard Focus time – I have a bunch of nearly finished things that I want to ship. Also I haven’t been coding that much the last couple of weeks, and I really miss it.
We did a Technically Speaking webinar about creating inclusive presentations, which was really fun.
In Seattle I stayed at the Westin, Saw Brandi Carlile at the Paramount Theatre which was so cool! Ate sushi at Umi Sake House, Dragonfish Asian Cafe and Wasabi Bistro. Had breakfast at Lola‘s (twice!) and croissant at Le Panier.
At Toronto airport I stayed at the Alt Hotel which is convenient and the bed is super cosy. And not moving – really a vast improvement on the planes I have been sleeping on lately. Had sushi at Sushi Ya, which was fab.
Product links Amazon.
- My GHC Survival Strategy
- Lasers and Practical Skills
- #GHC15: Jo Miller – Build your brand as an emerging leader or technical expert
A new edition of Technically Speaking is out.
On The Internet
@terriko: http://thecraftycrochet.tumblr.com/image/131466326670 … I know they meant this to be about crafts and not tech, but it made me think of @catehstn anyhow
@triketora: I specifically did not attend GHC this year because in the past, ABI events have left me feeling alienated https://medium.com/@omojumiller/i-specifically-did-not-attend-ghc-this-year-because-in-the-past-abi-events-have-left-me-feeling-a-d4d1182751db?source=tw-lo_b0bcefd18095-1445041091032 …
- A kitten and an owl! And they are BEST FRIENDS!
- </3 one of my friends wrote about kidney cancer – http://buff.ly/1LlMpKQ
- Must read from
@buritica – changing Colombia through Open Source communities – http://buff.ly/1Km8yoj (then buy a tshirt or hoodie!)
- This is great – Why Richard Branson Says Everyone Should Take Meeting Notes, Not Just Women – Forbes http://buff.ly/1LIfq4Q
- Technigal – http://buff.ly/1LIgSnL /via
- Analytics from the
@glowforge crowdfunding campaign, so glad @danshapiro shared – http://buff.ly/1LBKv6x (my link: http://buff.ly/1LBKxeT )
- If you haven’t ordered a Dipper Audio Necklace by
@tinselwear yet WHY NOT IT’S AWESOME – http://buff.ly/1NThucl
@MeredithFrost: Nothing to see here, just an owl using a mushroom as an umbrella. (Photo: Tanja Brandt) http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/tanja-brandt-owl-rain …
- The Cool Girl Trap: Or, Why Sexism in Tech Isn’t Going Away. http://buff.ly/1W3sQcZ
- This is super great!!
- Love! Rescued baby owl dances and sings with Halloween owl toy http://buff.ly/1GXEXBk
- This is amazing
@skamille – both the sharing of the ladder and write up – “Open Source Culture” http://buff.ly/1Rr9xZF
- This is helpful – One on One Meetings – http://buff.ly/1hYFegX /by
- “You can be accidentally successful for three or four years. Accidents happen. But careers take hard work.” -T Swift http://buff.ly/1LMSgXu
- More insight on management from the amazing
@skamille – Autonomy, Mastery, Purpose… What’s Missing? http://buff.ly/1MbEmgI