Talking to my freelancer friends, it’s clear the first year is the hardest and there are some bad decisions that we all end up making for ourselves. For me this week has been a week of accepting those bad decisions and their consequences, and I’ve been feeling really shitty as a result. I have a plan, and things will be OK. But it’s been a forcing function to ask: what am I going to do beyond the end of 2015?
This actually caused me to fall off The Schedule for the first time in… a long time. Just because I couldn’t.
In better news, I finally met the 10th man in tech I don’t hate. Exciting to “complete” that project! I will write more about it soon.
Started the week in Ottawa, moderating a panel at Beyond the Code (storify of live tweets) and ended the week in Berlin giving a talk at JSConfEU (storify of live tweets).
Mainly just bits and pieces and preparation – caught up with some admin stuff. I’m really excited to get back to writing code, so that will be Monday, before I catch a plane to NYC on Tuesday.
We hosted a technically speaking webinar again this week, after a bit of a hiatus to prep for our in person workshop. It was super fun!
Super excited Glowforge launched! You can order yours here.
Still reading the review copy of Present finished Fairytale Beginnings.
Product links Amazon.
A new edition of Technically Speaking is out.
On The Internet
- “I don’t think people understand how much we’re risking by telling our stories” – brilliant inteview with
- “…the people making the most passive income from their products also work the hardest.” http://buff.ly/1Kg1ooQ /via
- Warming Up to the Manager’s Schedule — http://buff.ly/1ihvYFe
- Amazing! Seal spotted surfing humpback whale in Australia – http://buff.ly/1KsfZ25 /via
- If you think the pipeline is the problem, maybe consider what happens to women in it – Being a woman in tech is hard. http://buff.ly/1NEXx7p
- “It was more money than I’d ever made before so it took me some time to figure out I was being massively underpaid.” http://buff.ly/1FVcNGQ
- Hahaha I love this comic! http://buff.ly/1KCjfrz
- 19 years of cat(s)… accustomed me to adoring something that only betrayed signs of reciprocal affection by accident http://buff.ly/1KqhxIy
- Really glad my friend
@hypatiadotca shared the story of the #ghcmanwatch bingo card at @ghc 14 http://hypatia.ca/2015/09/23/bingo-and-beyond …
- Collected livetweets from the panel I moderated
@beyondthecode15 #btc15 http://buff.ly/1JrFSKd
- COSIGN – Dear Tech Industry – http://buff.ly/1LzmYal /by
- Is it a cat? A fox? A raccoon? Idk but it’s beautiful – http://buff.ly/1gRvioO
- The Problem with Ally Panels, and Why We Still Need Them – (I’m quoted!) – http://buff.ly/1MMQ0F1