Still in love with Berlin, and had a friend to stay for a bit which was great. Although I’m still a bit run down (and coughing!) which is rubbish – probably the cold here! Had brunch with someone over from the US for a few days, and a new Berlin friend organised dim sum with some other people, which was great.
Still haven’t figured out 1) exactly when I am leaving Berlin, and 2) where I am going after Amsterdam.
Sent out a new iOS build with what I think of as “the selfie bug” fixed. Images taken by the front facing camera have to be rotated to display correctly. So easy to fix once I knew what it was! But when I didn’t know it was the front facing camera… argh. Have another weird bug, but I need to sort out crash reporting which still isn’t working.
Android: my basic UI is nearly done (straight port of iOS), and now for the harder stuff.
Working on my talk for mdevcon, on unit testing UI code on iOS. I have the outline all done and I’m just filling in the content, pretty excited about it now.
Couple of meetings, including one about more male allies content. And prepping something excited for Technically Speaking! Really excited about that.
Finished Kourtney and Khloe take the Hamptons and now watching Girls Season 2 (I don’t know if I like this show, it just seems so bizarre). More progress on The Black Swan, I don’t know if I’m actually finding it less tedious or if my expectations have been suitably lowered.
Read Balancing Act (I really liked this, it’s more like a snap shot of a period in the protagonists lives, rather than a defined story), and Before I Met You (which was beautiful, I loved it), re-reading Me and My Sisters.
Went to the Künstlerhaus Bethanien, which is a modern art gallery. Beautiful line drawings with string, which I really liked.
Product links Amazon.
My Famous Speech Friday on Maria Klawe’s response to Satya Nadella at GHC appeared on The Eloquent Woman.
A new edition of Technically Speaking is out.
On The Internet
- I feel this, about getting smaller and rebuilding again – Bringing back the Riot Grrrl – http://buff.ly/1JseqNc
- This thread is familiar – why is it we all have such similar stories and yet it’s never sexist, it’s just “that guy”? http://buff.ly/1JsZE94
- I adore this – Famous Speech Friday: Viola Davis: “Everything should be spoken” – http://buff.ly/1upsWyn
- I love
@antiheroine‘s answer to “would you go to space and never come back” – http://buff.ly/1JyIzui
- This is fantastic – Season of the Witch — http://buff.ly/1JBqD2e /via
- If you missed this thread of
@JillWetzler on penguins you totes missed out <3 <3 <3 http://buff.ly/1yRxaof ” http://buff.ly/1yRxaog
- Long, but worthwhile and interesting – 10,000 Hours with Reid Hoffman: What I Learned – http://buff.ly/1CSotJg /by
@femfreq collected a week of harassment on Twitter. I could barely read the first day. http://femfreq.tumblr.com/post/109319269825/one-week-of-harassment-on-twitter …
- Familiar story? The Parable of the Two Programmers http://buff.ly/1tddxpB /via
- Good to see more data on WoC in STEM – 100% of the WoC interviewed experienced gender bias – http://buff.ly/1yVFYJN /via
- “Sponsored” by my husband: Why it’s a problem that writers never talk about where their money comes from http://buff.ly/1C1UxxF /v
- This is interesting, on insights from analytics (which can be a bit overwhelming) – http://buff.ly/18jtqlc /via
- My article about different kinds of mentors on
@BeLeaderly seems relevant today – http://buff.ly/15ZptkM
- DiversityMediocrityIllusion – “The notion that efforts to increase diversity inevitably lead to mediocrity is wrong.” http://buff.ly/1DbrSmW
- We can compare what Wadhwa described as “harassment” https://twitter.com/search?q=wadhwa&src=typd … with
@femfreq experiences in a week – http://femfreq.tumblr.com/post/109319269825/one-week-of-harassment-on-twitter …
- Haunting – The BBC Flew a Drone Over Auschwitz – http://buff.ly/1D5rEgD /via
- Great advice here, and #1 is MORE THAN PIPELINE – 10 Actionable Ways To Actually Increase Diversity In Tech – http://buff.ly/1DpCCOE
- Interesting – Want to influence the world? Map reveals the best languages to speak – http://buff.ly/1zgWUfy /via
- This is great – The Imposter Syndrome – http://buff.ly/1A76ZeD /by
@joulee /via @iam_preethi