I packed up and moved to Berlin for a couple of months! Already I’ve hung out with some new and interesting people who live here, and had a visitor so that is great.
Still coughing which is horrible, but finally made it to the gym again where I was a bit pathetic. But at least I went! Replaced yet another Jawbone UP band.
Took a little road trip to Nottingham for my favourite iced tea which was great. Totally worth the hours drive each way!
Also, have a plan to rehabilitate myself on the tech industry…
Getting feedback and delving into C to optimise some things which is a bit of a nightmare – not the best kind of coding when under the weather! And working on some writing projects etc.
Also decided to commit 2015 to being independent, making things and consulting. Pretty excited to keep travelling, I need to decide where to live next!
Got dinner with a friend in Leicester at Turtle Bay (okay, the mashed sweet potatoes were not everything I had hoped for). In Nottingham I had lunch at Miss Korea (bento box – very nice), a crepe at Aubrey’s Traditional Creperie (lovely!) and iced tea from Cha Time, oh I love Cha Time.
In Berlin, co-working at Agora where we also had lunch, brunch at Chipps (so great, I regret not going there when I was here in December!) and Lagari (great), dinner at Masaniello (Italian, okay), Tabibito (sushi, so cheap, so tasty), and Wirtshaus Max und Moritz (traditional German, very nice). Also: waffle and tea at Lux (very nice), tiny cupcakes and hot chocolate at Tigertörtchen (divine).
Watching Veep Season 3 (exciting!). Reading, still, The Black Swan and Professional Android Application Development. Novels: The Difference a Day Makes, which I quite liked, and My Favourite Goodbye, which I’m finding a bit hard going, the men in it are a bit sexist and it is grating on me. Also the way that a woman critiques her reaction to her boyfriend pressuring her for sex (and him, and their mutual friend) made me uncomfortable.
Also watched a documentary a friend made, which was beautiful [trailer].
Product links Amazon.
A new edition of Technically Speaking is out.
On The Internet
- Find Your Hedgehog & You’ll Find Your Purpose – http://buff.ly/1xan8Oe /via
- On making friends after your early 20s, “Aim low, open your heart, and let them in.” http://buff.ly/1D8zV3Y /via
- Worth reading – Bill Cosby, Himself: Fame, Narcissism and Sexual Violence – http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/24/bill_cosby_himself_narcissism_fame_and_sexual_violence …
- You should read this – where do junior developers come from? http://buff.ly/1BaxKNS /by
@garannm /via @b0rk
- I’ve been swimming more since reading 4HB – The Benefits of Being Cold – http://buff.ly/1DbBHRS /via
- Very cool – The Incredible Underwater Art of Competitive Aquascaping – http://buff.ly/1yfLDLi
- Interesting – The Software Scientist – http://buff.ly/1BrsEe5 /via
- This reminded me of how much i missed twitter when i was in NK -How I gave up Twitter – http://buff.ly/1BuLp0h /by
@bimadew /via @marthadear
- Six Annoying Women Character Tropes in Black Romantic Comedies. http://buff.ly/1BvVomh /via
- Responses to this: https://twitter.com/catehstn/status/552440093097852929 … are amazing. Including this lovely video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-gQLqv9f4o … (thanks
- Fantastic – Manufacturing the Talent Shortage in
@ModelViewMedia http://buff.ly/1BwEW50 /via @skamille
- This is good – Work on Stuff that Matters: First Principles – http://buff.ly/1rSPpbi /via
- This made me so happy – Hacker School Gets an A on the Bechdel Test – http://buff.ly/1rQ6rqj /by
- Good comments on being pushed into management here – Thoughts on the Technical Track http://buff.ly/1BxIqVi /by
- So much insight into the tech interviewing process – On Interviewing as a Junior Dev http://buff.ly/14nyhQJ /by
- Depression doesn’t make you sad all the time – http://buff.ly/1vS3MrE /via
- I love this from
@skamille on getting outside the tech bubble – http://buff.ly/1BAY9CY /via @mrtazz
- I don’t know how I feel about this video, but it’s catchy – http://buff.ly/1rXF2CY
- Love these – 15 Lessons from 15 Years of Blogging – http://buff.ly/1BESNqc /via
@ellenchisa /by @anildash
- The Very First Startup Founder You Need to Invest in is You –http://buff.ly/1zQwaNe /via
- “What if I tried to design a promotion system to piss off as many employees as possible?” http://buff.ly/1tGLGZX /via
- I love this – Manfeels Park – http://buff.ly/1I1e4hG /via
- What I Learned From Building An App For Low-Income Americans – http://buff.ly/1xOJYcY /via
@dontgetcaught /by @deciara
- On Feedback and promotion cycles – http://buff.ly/1xC6SFy /by
- These are cool – The 19 best drone photos of 2014 – http://buff.ly/1BVgv1D
- Thought-provoking – Personal Privilege and Biking: It Takes More than a Bike Lane to Start Riding – http://buff.ly/1wrpmEI