Gym and brunch with a new (local!) friend, faux-husband arrived from Sydney, all too briefly, which was amazing. Made it to an event at Twitter and got to catch up with a friend, had lunch with another (and dinner to round off the week, which was lovely), and spent the weekend in Shropshire for a wedding where I got to spend time with some old school friends who I hadn’t seen in forever. My parents took the opportunity to see me and have a little mini-break, so I got to see them too, which was lovely.
More progress on my book chapter. The end is in sight. I think.
Gave up my apartment! I’ll be travelling a bunch at the end of the year so it’s not work paying London rent for a while. Afterwards… we’ll see.
Super super worn down, been under the weather for about a week and a half now but no time to stop. Now it’s finally hitting me. Luckily I’ve had plenty of opportunity to stockpile flu meds. Less so food…
Red curry (I am obsessed) at Addie’s, hummus at Bill’s. Sushi at Ten Ten Tei (cheap and tasty!), cake at the Troubador.
In Shropshire, we stayed at the Castle Inn. Really nice rooms, very comfortable. Good food, too.
Re-reading The Darker Side of Love. Finished The Country Escape (good) but still on Gravitas. Watching the latest season of Modern Family.
- The Day I Leave The Tech Industry [shockingly popular]
- Software Engineers Aren’t Normal
- #ModevUX: Multiscreen Design @ Ebay
On The Internet
- I like goals but they have to be short term and manageable! Good perspective from @ellenchisa on not setting them – http://buff.ly/1nCF2Ur
- A Better Way to Say Sorry – http://buff.ly/1pjfU4J /via @lindseybieda
- Yeah, all of these. 26 Things Feminists Are Tired Of Hearing http://buff.ly/UupCX3 /via @marthakelly
- “a slow, steady drumbeat of sexism and yes, misogyny, that seems to stretch backward and forward in time.” http://buff.ly/1rJPgnJ
- A friend is looking for famous female statisticians, any suggestions? http://buff.ly/1rJ9gIF
- At least one unexpected tip here! 10 Times You’re Better Off Saying Nothing at All – http://buff.ly/1nN2fmW /via @dontgetcaught
- Kinect hackathon in #kwawesome. Cool! Wish I was in town to go 🙂 http://buff.ly/1xu5RM2 /via @JenniferJanik
- Some interesting stuff on time tracking, balancing different projects here – http://buff.ly/1nPsPeZ /via @sachac
- Interesting – What Your Workout Says About Your Social Class – http://buff.ly/1nSSuna /via @triketora
- “Even if you could manage to squeeze in another tiny innovation, who would notice it?” – You Are Not Late – http://buff.ly/1l7Otac
- Horrifying insight into the abuse and harassment women face when they dare to be opinionated online – Shakesville – http://buff.ly/1xvXUpA
- Some good tips here, although disagree with inbox as todo list! Being focused and getting stuff done – http://buff.ly/1qKVntV /via @yuelinX
- Love – Hilary: the most poisoned baby name in US history – http://buff.ly/X5AtIt /via @hspter
- Handy list! Coffee & Work in London http://buff.ly/1oaF5Tg /by @yuelinX
- No surprises here: 10 sexist scenarios that women face at work – http://buff.ly/1rHMY6G /via @ErinLouise
- Remember When You Disappeared? — http://buff.ly/1pqvf3D /by @KikiTurrin /via @jyhsu
- 10 Most Common Rookie Mistakes in Public Speaking – http://buff.ly/1zvaJ6d /via @skemsley
- This is interesting – Do I need to be a “jerk” to succeed at a startup? http://buff.ly/1rN14XR /via @yuelinX
- @juliepagano: The Pipeline Problem http://firebe.es/archive/2014/07/31/the-pipeline-problem/ …http://firebe.es/archive/2014/07/31/the-pipeline-problem/comic.png …
- This is /fascinating/ on Study Hacks – effectuative thinking – http://buff.ly/1m4xp4Y
- Refactoring — Not on the backlog! | http://buff.ly/1qogVYt
- Slightly disturbing but amusing “the word “die” is so very depressing.” – If PHP were British – http://buff.ly/1o8libx
- <3 FSF – “time doesn’t wait, pity, or adjust for or to anyone, and life is not fair. Life is not fair” http://buff.ly/1m4vUUB @dontgetcaught
- V into crowdfunding as a viable alternative to VC for women-focused companies – How we hacked our way to £100k – http://buff.ly/1oehSDU
- “I’m a terrible person. But also, I suspect, a fairly typical one.” http://buff.ly/1rZOfWB
- This is amazing. NomadList — the best cities to live and work remotely – http://buff.ly/1rXaYpW /via @yuelinX
One reply on “This Week”
This Week – a trip to the countryside edition http://t.co/6Vb1pmB0eX