I’ve been feeling a bit flat lately, like I was doing little other than work, workout, and sleep (longer but at a lower quality than usual). So I’ve been making some changes, firstly I cut back on keeping food in my apartment – this drives me out in the morning at the weekend, and makes me more mindful about what I’m eating. I’ll venture out and get something if I’m actually hungry, not because it’s dinner time and there’s something in the fridge and I’m operating on auto-pilot. I’ve also ramped up my swimming again after having to take a break. Finally, I’m being strict about one work from home day a week, and on other days staying until 6 and leaving my laptop behind, rather than leaving early, taking it with me, and then working from home. And also not getting on the tube at the closest station, which is always super busy and stressful.
Finally, finally, I’m feeling better. More energetic, more engaged in the world, more creative. Although I think this is probably more related to discovering that something I wanted was not going to happen. I’ve been working like crazy for the last 6 months to try and set myself up for it, so I would have thought I’d be devastated. But actually I just feel… liberated relief. And I can stop working quite so hard – I think I’ve cancelled more vacation days than I’ve actually taken this year, and those that I have taken have not been relaxing! Like… moving into my apartment, giving a talk, helping out at a Stemettes event.
I’ve been saving my vacation to go to Tuvalu at the end of the year, but the friend I was going to go with can’t make it. Undecided about what I’ll do instead, maybe Thailand? I also want to go to Seoul. Probably still going to use it up for a long trip, as I plan to give up my apartment at the end of September and move somewhere new at the end of the year/start of next year.
Working on a new Secret Project with a friend, which is really fun so far.
OK. There are some things that are really annoying lately, but my actual work is going pretty well. I saw something I had been working on for the last few months all fitting together, which was exhilarating.
Saw Forbidden Broadway, which was hilarious and amazing.
On The Internet
- The Minion (aka R) playing with his kitten. The kitten is so adorable – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OPzZshuWmc …
- I love pink, but this makes me want to vom – How not to attract women to coding: Make tech pink – http://buff.ly/TUKmqo /via @mounialalmas
- This is good – 10 Lessons from 4 Years Working Remotely at Automattic – http://buff.ly/1ztz3q1 /via @skemsley
- “There is so much invested in not noticing how social and institutional gatherings are restricted.” http://buff.ly/1jyIxvQ /via @ashedryden
- Nothing lonelier than crowd you don’t relate to: “I’d feel a lot less alone had I spent the week hanging out alone.” – http://buff.ly/1qwb1Vt
- “the greatest gift you can give an Alpha woman is.. space to be herself without the threat of you leaving” http://buff.ly/1nlfeaQ @eileentso
- Kinda loving this – “All About That Bass” – http://buff.ly/1nxPLQ6 /via @aydaring
- Good to be mindful about this – What are people looking for when they talk about their challenges? http://buff.ly/U4vlSU /by @sachac
- Lots of handy tips here – Calendar hacks – http://buff.ly/U8c8Qo /by @laraswanson
- Platypus play time! So cute! http://buff.ly/1kZ8oYo /via @dontgetcaught
- Robots aren’t scary. Zombies aren’t scary either. Other teenagers? They are. Breaks my heart – http://buff.ly/1tSo5u7 /via @rachelbinx
- No surprises here, only data. Seven Studies That Prove Mansplaining Exists – http://buff.ly/1jQFX4m /via @moscaddie
- @JessicaKRoy: I don’t fucking care if you like it http://www.newrepublic.com/article/118735/problem-esquires-praise-42-year-old-women-amy-poehler …
- “The Internet didn’t make men into sexist assholes; they were sexists assholes to begin with.” http://buff.ly/1jUTrfD /via @ashedryden
- On resolving conflict with your boss – http://buff.ly/1qLCe6K /via @CarolineGoyder
- Interesting – How Instant Feedback During An Interview Can Change A Career – http://buff.ly/1n0uEp0
- Your Boss’s Work-Life Balance Matters as Much as Your Own – http://buff.ly/1yApjc8 /via @djphilli
- Captures why SF doesn’t appeal to me – Pining for the fjords http://buff.ly/1tZ6e4P /via @juliepagano
- How we end up marrying the wrong people | Philosophers’ Mail – http://buff.ly/1mZ2niG /via @triketora
- @violentfanon: Some actual research on male privilege:Women receive 25 TIMES more online abuse than men do. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?arnumber=1633535&tag=1 …