Really emotionally draining week. But caught up with a friend, hung out with a new friend which was nice, met up with someone who found me on Twitter as a result of one of my recent blog posts (so cool), went to the brunch portion of a friend’s hen do, and spent an Afternoon with the Stemettes, the girls were developing their app ideas. And afterwards got to catch up with AM and plot. Fun!
Been working on an app with a friend, which is really fun – it’s been nice to code in Obj-C again, even though it is now apparently obsolete. Did kettlebells twice, and went swimming, but didn’t get much gym time in otherwise (working too late Friday).
My friend sent me a plant, and hilarity ensued. Chipping away at some stuff, finally starting to feel like I am making progress, but felt like I was working longer than usual hours this week. Heading back to the US again next weekend. I’m pre-emtively exhausted at the thought. But it should be a good trip, stopping off in SF en-route.
All registered for GHC! Yay!
Sushi at Dozo (love!), Sumosan (great but pricey), Pham (good and cheap!), late night post-gym snack with my gym buddy at Bill’s and brunch at Giraffe (so much meh), tea and desert at Modern Pantry (hung out on the patio, which was nice).
All links Amazon.
On The Internet
- “If people feel like they can’t speak up, you’ll never hear what they have to say, and you’ll never know they’re not saying it.” –@github … From this post – http://buff.ly/1oJ6amh – I remain sceptical, but that quote is something that a lot of tech managers never seem to learn.
- “we’ve got a whole generation of driven young women who feel bad about feeling bad.” http://buff.ly/1gI4cQu /via @ErinLouise
- I adore this article, this woman is incredible – Françoise Barré-Sinoussi http://buff.ly/RLPzzO
- Breaks my heart “I will not write his name. I will not speak his name. I will try not to think his name.” http://buff.ly/1gNL6sb /v @felsull
- A translation guide for software engineers (by btco@) pic.twitter.com/cOlVCmdne6
- @funkwit: If you’re unemployed, and in Melbourne: congratulations! Problem solved! http://i.imgur.com/0fSzu6E.jpg
- This is interesting, on women in meetings, what they experience, things to worry about (e.g. seeming emotional!) – http://buff.ly/1o9MggG
- Baby animals! So adorable! http://buff.ly/1o9MhBg /via @alexproaps
- Amazing bio of Grace Murray Hopper, incredible woman – http://buff.ly/1nNmrVq /via @ghc
- @CuteOverlords: Guinea Pigs dressed as dinosaurs! pic.twitter.com/pNIaH0z4oq
- “It’s the people who are convinced of their own objectivity that we should be most worried about” http://buff.ly/1nNmYGU /via @skamille
- Want to go to @ghc but finances? @google grants students+industry https://plus.google.com/113289084020544085969/posts/eLYfGnJgtQK … & my post on applications: http://www.cate.blog/2014/01/15/5-tips-when-applying-to-opportunities-for-women-in-stem/ …
- “Romance novels are feminist documents. They’re written almost exclusively by women, for women…” http://buff.ly/1odlEeH /via @BR3NDA
- How had I not seen this video before? Thanks @juliepagano! “But I’m A Nice Guy” – http://buff.ly/1ol2dk4
- @brycecovert: When I ask what I’ll be paid for an 8,000-word manuscript to be included in someone’s book: pic.twitter.com/i7S3bQzRxo
- Cats on exercise balls <3 <3 <3 http://buff.ly/1uhkJNY
- Ha, yes – Do Female-Named Hurricanes Need To Lean In? http://buff.ly/1nNg0Ej /via @hypatiadotca @sarawinge /by @BethNovey
- LOL – Every Bad Apology Your Tech Company Needs – http://buff.ly/1pPKzpM /by @anildash
- Found this pretty funny, and not entirely unfair w.r.t. tech guys – Amazon is killing my sex life http://buff.ly/1nLNeUn /via @triketora
- Really interesting – How I Became an Unfair Teacher – http://buff.ly/1pPI0UN /via @terakristen
- “The main problem you’ll encounter when working from home is… well, you.” http://buff.ly/1pPLTZN /via @katemats
- This is cute! Tiny parisien apartment (12m sq) – http://buff.ly/1nLN13E /via @felsull
- Yes, 1000x this – “Men thinking of themselves as too important to do this work is sexism.” http://buff.ly/1nLVyDz
- Interesting post from @seriouspony on dealing with stage fright, the presenter as UI – http://buff.ly/1tOH43c
- @abt_programming: “Always Leave Office On Time” via @shervsh pic.twitter.com/o0VST2uhtm
- Horrifying. 5 Uncomfortable Truths Behind the Men’s Rights Movement – http://buff.ly/1jRgVeK
- “But instead, she made her own life” – http://buff.ly/1uhkpP6
- Good article on the absence of women at WWDC – http://buff.ly/SBoG2b /via @ggdworldwide
- This is good, by @aydaring – For All Men: An Incomplete Guide To Avoiding Harassing & Assaulting Women – http://buff.ly/1pNzvfH