I sent out the first draft of my writing for That Project, which I kept not quite ‘fessing up to so here it is: I’m contributing a book chapter to the Architecture of Open Source 500 Lines or Less project. Which I’m super excited about, but have also had the usual worries about people realising I am woefully unqualified and changing their mind. With this milestone though I’m willing to entertain the probability that is all in my head, and put it out there. You can see my code here, and if you want a preview of the writing ping me because I would love the feedback.
Prepping for my upcoming talks at iOS Con and ModevUX – working on my content and slides, scheduling some coaching from the amazing Denise. I’m also going to be on a panel at Modev, which is exciting, so I’m doing some prep for that.
Took a vacay day to do a Stemettes workshop at Accenture. We made apps using AppShed, which is so cool! It’s so easy to make a little mobile site. And I met one of their female MDs, she was super cool. Used to code in COBOL!
Nicely anti-social week in preparation for the craziness of next week – talk, workshop, friend in town, international flight etc. Got a lot of gym time in, I’ve been swimming more which is great, although I currently ache all over, which isn’t.
So little code this week (well, 3 day week) so much writing. Finally got the design document I’ve been working on for a while done enough to circulate, and wrote a little demo script. Then got cracking on another design doc.
Yay for new episodes of The Good Wife and How I Met Your Mother, still catching up on Covert Affairs. Quite liking Melissa and Joey. UK iTunes is annoying me so much, because it is way behind the US (I still can’t get Season 2 of Veep, or Season 3 of Hart of Dixie) and the season passes are erratic (you don’t consistently get one new episode a week). Most annoying is that I can’t get the latest two seasons of Drop Dead Diva.
Still working on An Absolute Deception (maybe I should switch to another book), 4 Hour Body (still swimming more, now adding 75 kettlebell swings roughly every other day). Finished Manage Your Day To Day.
Finally watched the Amy Cuddy TED talk – Your Body Language Shapes Who You Are. It’s one of those that I didn’t get around to watching for ages because I’d head so much about it and thought “OK, power poses, got it”. Turns out, that is the least of it. It’s an amazing talk, how she got into researching that and related things I found super interesting, and she talks about “faking it until you become it” which was a really powerful story. Loved it.
Went to see the Liu Bolin aka The Invisible Man exhibit at Scream. The gallery isn’t open at weekends (so annoying) so I went on the way home from the Stemette’s event. It was great, I wasn’t sure how much better it would be, because of course I’ve seen his work online, but the full size prints are awesome. It was well worth the visit.
Also caught The Brits Who Built The Modern World, At RIBA, which was cool although a little rushed (turns out they shut at 5, I thought I had until 6), and took a lightening tour around the Sony World Photography Awards Exhibition at Somerset House – this huge building in the middle of London. My favourites were by Frauke Thielking (pictures of artist studio floors), Kylli Sparre (otherworldly pictures) and Samantha Fortenberry (also ethereal).
Product links Amazon.
- Falling Down the Rabbit Hole
- 5 Reasons to Build a Native App
- Stepping Up For Technical Leadership – Girl Geek Dinner Sydney, August 2013
Elsewhere on the internet, my Returning to The Stage… After Harassment post was republished on The Eloquent Woman (one of my favourite blogs).
ON THE INTERNET
- This is heartbreaking “His Career Will Be Absolutely Fine”: On Being Molested http://buff.ly/1rKasGP /via @felsull
- Me too. RT @corey_latislaw: “I’m exhausted by the triumph of men at the expense of women as a narrative device.” http://buff.ly/1kovabf
- I don’t really need a reason to leave the country, but voila 14 new ones (I’ve been to 11/25) – http://buff.ly/1fAVtiS /via @felsull
- “stop worrying about your happiness. Happiness does not come from a job. It comes from knowing what you truly value” http://buff.ly/1iLsint
- From a while ago, I wrote about the things that we don’t talk about, as women in tech – Stories We Don’t Tell – http://buff.ly/1knrNmm
- This is good – Stop Saying “I Have A Boyfriend” – http://buff.ly/1g2pvq6 /via @segdeha @MissyTitus
- Woah, these places are amazing – 33 Unbelievable Places To Visit Before You Die – http://buff.ly/PXNsIi /via @felsull
- The different challenges of being a female entrepreneur… this post made me sad – http://buff.ly/1upueLU /via @kwugirl
- @brainpicker: How Voltaire fell in love with a remarkable female mathematician http://j.mp/1nidJzR
- 100x this – The problem with saying the media has a “woman problem” http://buff.ly/1njvEmY /via @triketora /cc @dontgetcaught
- Travelling in NK, echoes my experiences, getting sick, like an elaborate piece of performance art – http://buff.ly/1ijLMj3 /via @oceanician
- @handee: Today’s inspirational woman in tech is @aimafidon http://www.bcs.org/content/ConWebDoc/52539\… our @bcs_lovelace headline speaker #bcswomen #womeninIT
- .@handee has collated – BCSWomen Lovelace Colloquium 2014 blog roundup – http://buff.ly/1kMpeKR
- This is good – On People, Polarization, Panopticons, and #ComplexFeelingsAboutActivism – http://buff.ly/1uu0Ynv /by @JuliaSerano
- Video on what we’re missing out on when we’re continually preoccupied with our devices – http://buff.ly/1nkKlq9 /via @aryareaisparsi
- I like this from @daphnechong on starting doing her startup! Thanks for sharing 🙂 http://buff.ly/1j0aGu0
- This is great, interview with @google ux researcher pulls out 4 key things to consider on mobile – http://buff.ly/1gbWmZM
- Incredible time lapse video – Cruise Ship Cut in Half, Then Stretched 99 Feet – http://buff.ly/1lVUUAb /via @oliverburkeman
- Finally watched Amy Cuddy’s tech talk, and power poses are the least of it – it’s amazing – http://buff.ly/1j5Y98o