I’m not sleeping well and it’s making me exhausted and grumpy, but yay for four day weekends, been able to get some good workouts in, including swimming (I haven’t swam in weeks!) and feel so much better as a result.
My first draft of The Thing is done. I’m so happy, now all that is left are little tweaks. Such a relief to have this substantially done, it has been a lot of work. Will share exactly what it is soon.
Busy busy, I feel like I keep getting 90% done with things and getting distracted lately, but I finished one thing that I had not-quite-complete at the end of the previous week, and made some progress on some other things.
Gave a talk at the BCS Lovelace Colloquium, which people responded to really positively, which was nice.
Finished Veronica Mars – finally! Watching The Good Wife now, which is amazing – happy to find another TV show with strong female characters. The main female character is such a departure – she’s reserved to the point of being cold, and it’s so refreshing. Still reading An Absolute Deception, and 4 Hour Body (reading slowly to try out tips as I go), and Manage Your Day To Day.
Saw Political Animal at the Udderbelly Festival at Southbank, which was funny, although I’ve not been following UK politics so some of the references I missed.
Product links Amazon.
- The Emotional Expectations of Women
- Sponsors, Mentors and Allies
- Do All The Things, GGD Sydney, August 2014
Elsewhere on the Internet, I was on a podcast talking about my upcoming talk at ModevUX.
ON THE INTERNET
- “This will often be unsatisfying to people’s egos, but the best engineers have nothing to prove.” http://buff.ly/1lPURas /via @wynlim
- I like this, especially the second half, on a life of Must, rather than Should – http://buff.ly/Q9wTcK /via @wynlim /by @elleluna
- This OK Go video and game is ridiculous and amusing – http://buff.ly/1hGYJCX /via @lccarson
- I really like this article on the “optimal time crunch” and productivity – http://buff.ly/1eh1iB4 /via @RachelleGendron
- From a while ago, but great article if you missed it -Why Designers Leave — http://buff.ly/1ggxpMt
- “There are a lot of entertaining and fun things in this world, and it’s best to not know that most of them exist.” http://buff.ly/1hGZJHq
- This is good, on constructive feedback, getting it, making sense of it and acting on it – http://buff.ly/RcTnum
- “A wonderful thing happens when you give up on hope… you realise you never needed it in the first place” http://buff.ly/1hL6iZs
- This is a great law school assignment that builds empathy, software engs need to learn this too – http://buff.ly/Q3s19m
@julieallinson: @catehstn meet Dexter Morgan, pygmy hedgehog https://www.flickr.com/photos/bostonjal/5483171014/in/set-72157625322685619 …
- Fascinating article about the confidence gap, and effects and results of women being less confident – http://buff.ly/1h6M509 /via @cshirky
- Left her off due to lack of space. Handy excuse, works for exhibits, conferences, boards, leadership positions… http://ow.ly/2FIwzu
- On point and bonus – funny! An open response to a man offended by all-female shortlists http://buff.ly/1iYTSjb
- The ever insightful @katelosse – The Speculum of the Other Brogrammer – http://buff.ly/P4LYLI
- Great advice from @Jo_Miller – How to Lead in a Meeting When You’re Not the Leader – http://buff.ly/QfYlFY
- I like this, on “guilty pleasures” – http://buff.ly/1mbKOKJ /via @kwugirl
- So much adorable http://news.distractify.com/fun/animals-fun/22-animals-that-are-so-adorable-they-will-make-you-mad/?v=1 … /via @dgou
- Nooooo! No more nike fuelbands! http://www.cnet.com/news/nike-fires-fuelband-engineers-will-stop-making-wearable-hardware/ … /via @jewelia