Had a lovely time in Frankfurt, the Luminale was cool, although I got sick which is never the funnest. Went to Oxford for the Be The Eloquent Woman workshop which was fantastic, met some great people. Caught up with a friend, and a colleague who came over from another office in Oxford, went for dinner with a friend and his fiancee and had lunch with a woman I met a few weeks ago. Got an intro to someone about yet another potential side project, and also working on another potential speaking opportunity.
Finally got around to unboxing my misfit wearable. And getting a haircut! Weekend is for once pure Cate-time. Art, gym, writing (want to finish this project so I can move onto other things!)
3 day week which is always busier. Wrote a lot of tests. Worked on a design doc. Not the greatest week, to be honest. Things with bad associations, even if in themselves they weren’t.
Treated myself to dim sum from Dragon Palace (BBQ pork buns… mmm) and had dinner at Ken Lo’s Memories of China (tasty). In Oxford, had breakfast at Bill’s, and stayed at the Malmaison, a converted jail but comfortable! Although they didn’t have conditioner, which always annoys me.
Watching Covert Affairs Season 4, How I Met Your Mother Season 9, but mostly really loving Veronica Mars. At first it was pleasant background noise whilst doing other things (like email, or writing tests), and somewhere around the middle of season 1 I just got completely hooked on it. Finished The Richer Sex (such an interesting book).
Novel-wise, reading An Absolute Deception.
Caught the last of some amazing art shows over the weekend, including Boomoon, and stopped by the Bernard Jacobson Gallery which has these incredible pieces made from tiny wrapped packages, in different colours, so cool. Dale Chihuly: Beyond the Object was amazing, such incredible glass work. And finally I went to Sensing Spaces at the Royal Academy, which was interesting. I loved the scale, but it was pretty crowded which maybe meant I didn’t appreciate the space as much.
Product links Amazon.
ON THE INTERNET
- This is great, particuarly the section on tone policing – Dissent Unheard Of – http://buff.ly/1fYTz4I /via @bubbva @ashedryden
- I have a similar strategy for side projects “just 30 minutes and then you are free” – My 90-minute workday – http://buff.ly/1gDn95K
- “Silicon Valley has inadvertently produced an innovation here: It’s “disrupted” discrimination” http://buff.ly/1fHevy9
- So sad, but I really identify – Words I hope to regret someday: “I’m glad that I didn’t give a technical talk.” – http://buff.ly/1iBDkPv
@jyhsu: “The Tale of a Student Hustle: The Candy Man” by @juvoni https://medium.com/this-happened-to-me/fdceda69a447 …
- Found this blog post back from my burnout break, interesting to look back and see how far I’ve come – http://dld.bz/dmAYk
- These pictures are cool – http://buff.ly/1i1FYw4
- “Life didn’t turn out the way I expected it. I’m glad. Fuck the vision board.” http://buff.ly/1hEA42A
- .@dontgetcaught put up notes from her fabulous #fwneloquent workshop for the Fabian Women’s Network http://buff.ly/1mbpiow
- Gorgeous Famous Speech Friday: Lupita Nyong’o on black beauty http://buff.ly/1i1Ozik /by @dontgetcaught
- “A bad manager is… capable of taking a great team and producing mediocre (or just hands-down terrible) results.” http://buff.ly/1hiQgu4
- Amazing gif – http://buff.ly/1pjNZ4b /via @wseblen
- I like the one week = 168 hours line of thinking – The 24-Hour Trap: Rethinking Daily Habits – http://buff.ly/1gCNobM /via @terakristen
- Since I’m still hearing it, a quarterly reminder – the pipeline argument is bullshit – http://dld.bz/dmPkA
- <3 leonid tishkov – The Museum of Imaginary Moons http://buff.ly/P9Vaiz
- I love this – Graph ratings from TV shows – http://buff.ly/PaI4Sd /via @darkgreener
- “we can’t get out of the bedroom now” http://bit.ly/1lyvdqy /via @scherem
- Amazing article – Tech in Underserved Communities: Beyond Feel Good Stories – http://bit.ly/1i0Mfae
- This woman is a hero – Why Anita Hill’s Testimony About Sexual Harassment Still Matters http://bit.ly/1iXkh2 /cc @dontgetcaught
@adriarichards: 5 Criticisms Of The Kid Who Got Into All 8 Ivy League Schools (And Why They’re Ridiculous) http://po.st/71tWPY
2 replies on “This Week”
This Week, things I saw/read on the internet – so much art – http://t.co/7Xn0tQTWOl
RT @catehstn: This Week, things I saw/read on the internet – so much art – http://t.co/7Xn0tQTWOl