Mostly exhausted from travel and working a lot because of Looming Deadline, and in desperate need of a haircut – which I should before everyone unfollows me on twitter me for tweeting too frequently that my hair is making me despondent. Managed to get in a couple of workouts, submit a conference proposal, and then took off to Frankfurt for a weekend (to see the Luminale). I have big plans next weekend to not go to an airport.
Went to the Eloquent Woman event at the Houses of Parliament which was amazing, although getting in was scary – lots of men with guns. Afterwards I had drinks with Denise, I’m a huge fan of her blog so it was great to meet her in real life. Next week I’m taking her training course in Oxford.
Tough decision but cancelled my flights to NZ. Just too much on right now, and I need to focus on some other things. I might try and get away for a bit over my birthday in May instead.
Busy busy with the Looming Deadline, performance review time, and I had a lot of emails to delete after the previous hectic week when I wasn’t even bothering to carry my laptop around! Although did manage to have a day working from home writing tests (this is basically like relaxing, IMO). Got some nice feedback from my manager from Q1, and I’m looking forward to getting stuck into my next project. Got some design doc writing to do next week!
Watching Covert Affairs Season 4, How I Met Your Mother Season 9, and Veronica Mars. Bit more progress on 4 Hour Body (now trying to stop eating/drinking fruit), and The Richer Sex (so fascinating). Re-reading Between Males, which isn’t my favourite of Fiona Walker’s books and was annoying me in a dysfunctional relationships, woman needing to be rescued kind of way, but I’m approaching the end and at some point started to really enjoy it!
Product links Amazon.
- Yoga Retreat in Sagres, November 2013
- Distractedly Intimate: Your Users on Mobile
- Why Are We Still Geeks – Panel at GHC
ON THE INTERNET
- @allygarrett: I guess you could say that I have some feelings about the Kardashians and the Kimye Vogue cover… @TheWirelessNZ http://thewireless.co.nz/blogs/yopro-in-sensible-flats/kimye-don-t-hate-the-player …
- I like these pictures! “Almost nothing need be said when you have eyes” – http://buff.ly/1jd4KyJ
- Pixel And Dimed: On (Not) Getting By In The Gig Economy – http://buff.ly/1fQCFVU
- This is good, by @ellenchisa – On Better Gender & Tech Conversations – http://buff.ly/ONrs2m
- So interesting – Who Had Richer Parents, Doctors Or Artists? http://buff.ly/1dDaUjT /via @skamille
- Mass Effect developer makes emotional plea to eliminate social injustice in games – http://buff.ly/1dmQ2Tp /via @PatrickHerd
- Some helpful reminders on productivity – 26 Time Management Hacks I Wish I’d Known at 20 http://buff.ly/1leh55P /via @SamBehnam
- “The point isn’t to get it all done—it’s to get the most important work done.” http://buff.ly/1fYU3b1 /via @katemats
- “Fall in love with boredom. Fall in love with repetition and practice.” http://buff.ly/1fREkKZ /via @mypromotion
- This is interesting, on having an API, a website but no apps (from TfL) – http://buff.ly/1kUZSvp /via @tomskitomski
- This is good, on learning to charge for a side project – How To Make What You’re Really Worth – http://buff.ly/1kV0JMM /via @NyreeCostello
- This – “’twice as good’ ultimately means half as many arrive.” http://buff.ly/1kV1eXa /via @RepresentPledge
- This is good, @anitaborg_org‘s Report Highlighting Recommendations to Retain Women in Computing http://buff.ly/1hhcnNB
- I like this – Why you should move that button 3px to the left | – http://buff.ly/1hhcuc7 /via @katemats
- So fascinating – The Geography of Fame – http://buff.ly/1oW8q76
- Good post here by @kwugirl on salary negotiation – http://buff.ly/1ixlVHP
- Why your previous developer was horrible (and why your current one is so amazing) – http://buff.ly/1iZvhwV /via @SaraJChipps