Last week with my friend, I am so sad to say goodbye. We went on an adventure on one night, all the way to zone 6! We were supposed to see a TV recording but the timings are really tight and there are no cabs in zone 6 – I am never going to zone 6 again – and missed it. Still, we had a great time together. And to the theatre another night. I met up with a friend of a friend, it was nice to meet someone new.
Headed to Manchester for the womENcourage event. Good to catch up with people I know who also went. Really exhausting but an awesome day, really enjoyed he talks, and the unconference session was really fun.
Brunch at Camino, which was lovely and pretty reasonable. Dinner at the Troubador Cafe – we had some fun and started with desert. Sushi at Sticks N Sushi which was amazing, and also at Kulu Kulu Sushi which was fast and cheap and good – especially the tamago.
In Manchester I stayed at the Arora Hotel, wasn’t a big fan – no conditioner, no lotion (I hate hotels that don’t have conditioner), and someone locked on my door at 2am.
Went to see X-Pose at Southbank, which was amazing – gorgeous pictures, I really, really loved it. Bought some postcards, I can send out to people. Very tempted by a print, but it has been an expensive month! So I didn’t get one.
Also caught the Beautiful Science exhibit at the British library, which was cool. Florence Nightingale’s rose charts were a highlight for me. Small exhibit though.
Saw The Book of Mormon, which was absolutely fantastic. Best musical, or play really, I have ever seen. Really funny, in a smart way. I loved it.
Finished Chelsea Wives (light relief) and Principled Centred Leadership (oh finally, much as I loved 7 Habits I got nothing out of this book. It was so high on words and light on content).
Product links Amazon.
- Barcelona, November 2013
- 6 Things I Look For When Considering Projects and Teams
- Megan Smith on Moonshoots at GHC 2013
ON THE INTERNET
@_TheBunny_: A womans place… pic.twitter.com/l5jhdhUoHF
- .@penelopetrunk is always fascinating – Could Your Boss Have Aspergers? http://buff.ly/1eaDVm0
- This is amazing – rabbit stampede – http://buff.ly/1bpvDMn – /via @mattcutts
- “Like any relationship, a bad team dynamic is never the result of only one person’s behavior.” – http://buff.ly/1l4FoCN /via @katemats
- This is great, on the unnecessary proliferation of apps – http://buff.ly/1lihO5G /by @codinghorror
- Chilling – “…there is little day-to-day support for staying. There is even less support for leaving” – http://buff.ly/MrtFix
This is good – Satisficing: How Overachievers Stay Sane and Avoid Burn-Out – http://buff.ly/1ed2WNi /via @terakristen
- Sometimes I feel a clock ticking over my head, I read this and thought – this will be me one day. http://buff.ly/MrtFix /by @franceshocutt
- This: “it’s more productive to work toward changing a work environment than changing women” – http://buff.ly/1dYCMm0 /via @antiheroine
@jennatar: This is making the rounds on Tumblr. Uhhhhhhhhh do not attempt to pick up people this way http://bit.ly/NvZqYK (via @SimonJadis)
“Asking for advice is a form of thinking out loud, except that it involves no thought.” http://buff.ly/1jZPd1D /via @jenny_blake
- Oddly fascinating – App Lets You Crowdsource Dating Advice… While You’re On Dates – http://buff.ly/1jZSXQC /via @oliverburkeman
- Great article on the awesome Genevieve Bell – Intel’s Sharp-Eyed Social Scientist – http://buff.ly/NppiW7
- Lots of good stuff here – How to Make Yourself Work When You Just Don’t Want To – http://buff.ly/1cfKh3N /via @felsull
- Love that movie – 25 Reasons “Anastasia” Is The Best Animated Film Ever – http://buff.ly/1mCODf7 /via @meffer @caflynn7
- Ha awesome, my ages old blog post about prepping for technical interviews has been translated into Chinese
- “It’s weird how one nation’s flirting is another nation’s motivation to use pepper spray.” http://buff.ly/Oy2Db8
@petewarden: The first ENIAC programmers were all female, and later dismissed as fake geek girls – http://eniacprogrammers.org/overview.shtml – Plus ça change via @catehstn
- So fascinating, can’t wait for the book – Handbagging and women public speakers – http://buff.ly/1fqzTpQ /by @dontgetcaught
- Interesting – The Mid-Career Crisis of the Perl Programmer – http://buff.ly/MtlZwf /via @petewarden
@JulieSLalonde: What’s happening at the UofO right now is #rapeculture in its purest form. Thank you @anne_theriault for this piece. http://bit.ly/MC7LcA
2 replies on “This Week”
ThisÂ Week http://t.co/xqSnstALST
[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.