I moved into my apartment! One of my friends helped me, so I got to spend some time with him, and spent most of Sunday with… a bloke, but that was about the extent of things. Worked out some, not as much as I should, but hopefully now I’m in my apartment I’ll be able to get back into a routine. Second week that I didn’t make a yoga class, must get on that. Really working on yoga as a habit, and all the unpacking etc – I could use it.
I picked up a new Jawbone UP (Amazon), so I can go back to tracking my sleep and waking up at a good point in my sleep cycle. Also my mom and I booked a spa weekend, so that will be nice. I was thinking about heading to Dublin or Amsterdam, but I can do that later in the year.
Three day week with new years day and a day off to move. Working on server-side java. Worst part is build files. Urgh. Also doing some prep for a presentation I have to give next week.
Being a bit boring, need to get out to more new places! I went back to Cocochan, again before 5 with the great foursquare deal and Sofra, although this time for lunch. Found two of the cafes I was looking for the other week – Workshop Coffee Co. and Apostrophe and had hot chocolate. It’s the last weekend for Winter Wonderland so we went there and rode a few rides, which was fun, and as I was in Hyde Park also checked out the Serpentine galleries. Both are slightly macabre right now, but interesting. I liked the puppets, but the other one was too macabre in too small a space, with too many people for my taste.
Still watching Brothers and Sisters season 4. This season is sad though, I confess I’ve been tearing up!
I’m trying to re-reading more books as my expenditure on Kindle books is excessive. The Bachelorette Party, which is funny, not so sentimentalised. and Babyville which I didn’t really relate too that much, but Jane Green is good for books about woman who seem real, flawed, human.
Non-fiction – finished The Male Factor, started reading The Charisma Myth – not far in enough to know how helpful it will be, but it’s interesting. Apparently Marilyn Monroe could turn her charisma on and off like a light bulb.
Completely loving Lady Gaga’s new album (ARTPOP) on Grooveshark – especially Dope, and Gypsy.
- Tokyo, August 2013
- Here’s to the end of 2013
- The Pipeline is a Bullshit Argument, and Other Rants
- Book: A Year in High Heels
ON THE INTERNET
- This is a great article on the undervaluing of women in tech – Women in Tech and Empathy Work – http://buff.ly/1fExPgw /via @ashedryden
- Love this, on @STurkle‘s work – Saving the Lost Art of Conversation – http://buff.ly/K4bnTu
- This might make you cry – (TW) – Your Friends and Rapists – http://buff.ly/1jJtChk /by @snpsnpsnp
- This is interesting, on being paid to do what you love – Unicorn Jobs http://buff.ly/1g3XWyt /via @zephoria
- Amused by @londonist‘s predictions for 2014 – http://londonist.com/2013/12/12-predictions-for-london-in-2014.php … (I feel like they don’t like The Boris)
- Horrified. Sexual harassment in “The Wolf Of Wall Street” era? We called it going to work http://buff.ly/1k4vVfi /via @felsull @SophieMayer
- Darcy the Flying Hedgehog notes that 2013 is nearly over – http://instagram.com/p/ilnwURyBHG/
- Good advice here – Getting Back on the Creative Horse – http://buff.ly/K9MdTG /via @seriouspony
- Fascinating+insightful: Why Are Hundreds of Harvard Students Studying Ancient Chinese Philosophy? http://buff.ly/1k5cpze /via @dontgetcaught
- THIS – Paul Graham and the Manic Pixie Dream Hacker – http://buff.ly/1cHIO9r /by @fake_train /via @amyngyn
- These pictures are funny, art directed by a 2yo – Henry’s Concepts http://buff.ly/18OR4Fb
- Love this on resolutions – actually useful – http://buff.ly/19Cud0n /via @seriouspony /by @buster
- Five Ways White Feminists Can Address Our Own Racism – http://buff.ly/1k5agn9 /via @sarahm @dontgetcaught
- I love this – Fuck Pattern Recognition – http://buff.ly/1k7ekmN /by @MJB_SF /via @NatashaTheRobot
- Funny! I’ve taken pole dancing classes, love anti-g yoga – Workouts you need to stop doing in 2014 http://buff.ly/1g1yoBn /via @felsull
- I love the comments on travelling solo in this article – http://buff.ly/19QC74d /by @felsull
- This is interesting, by @skamille – The Constant Introspection of Management http://buff.ly/1cmQIAx
- Funny! The weirdest travel stories of 2013 – http://buff.ly/1gpvyqE /via @bl
- “Get a cat and emulate it’s behaviour…” – New Year’s Resolutions You Can Actually Achieve – http://buff.ly/1d6bPNL