Enjoyed the long weekend, and another day off (one of Colombia’s two independence days), and then escaped to Costa Rica for a real break. I’ve been having amazing adventures, and saw whales! And sloths! And a racoon! And monkeys! Been really great to recharge a bit, because the last while has been brutal. I’ve been doing a lot of Duolingo, and I really feel like my Spanish is improving. Sent out a new Android build of Show & Hide.
Watching How I Met Your Mother, finished What Got You Here Won’t Get You There, read The Gutsy Girl: Escapades for Your Life of Epic Adventure (accidentally a children’s book, but it was great!), started Why Him, Why Her. Novels: read Friends and Rivals, and Eligible (modern Pride and Prejudice – really enjoyed this one), now reading The Singles Game.
Product links Amazon.
Sent Where the Hell is Cate letters from MDE, SJO, and XQP.
On the Internet
@kthomas901: Had to get more thoughts out on Facebook’s recent statements so I wrote a piece titled “Invisible Talent” https://medium.com/@kthomas901/invisible-talent-409a085bee9c?source=twitterShare-a249c473ca33-1468547193 …
- So true – “The gap between what’s preached and practiced at tech companies creates disillusionment.” http://buff.ly/2a3qXyq /by
- This is on point. The Big Lie: Tech Companies and Diversity Hiring – http://buff.ly/29G7XV4 /by
@sethpo: I found my GET OFF MY LAWN hero.
- “Maybe one day they will meet. Probably they won’t. It can’t be helped. They both have stuff to deal with first.” https://t.co/668IwfAyxo
- This cat! Omg! https://Instagram.com/p/BIARd-Bjmkx/
@aliciability: oh my god the paw I can’t @hukuloucoffee:
- “When was the last time I did something that I wanted simply because I wanted to do it? I truly cannot remember.” https://t.co/E90JHChS96
- Super interesting – Why the Clinton America sees isn’t the Clinton colleagues know –http://buff.ly/29XTCWO /via
- Super interesting on building performant+beautiful Android app: Instagram + Android: Four Years Later http://buff.ly/29By95y /via
- I love this idea of a user manual. I wrote one for myself in December, but never had the nerve to share it. https://t.co/qXFjr53GLL
@MrDrewScott: No big deal… it’s just an owl riding a pony
- Aww look at this sloth
@lara_hogan @webwright https://twitter.com/science/status/755971908588351489
- This is terrifying, on Trump, and his bizarre patterns of speech, but also on narcissists – http://buff.ly/29VK2Qs /via
- On point – “Too many designers think they are innovating when they are merely breaking and entering.” http://buff.ly/29HnQgY /via
- Beautiful – “If the cost of innovation is a lot of endings, each one is an opportunity to end well.” http://buff.ly/29EnSWs /by
- This talk by
@duretti was amazing, so glad she wrote it up – How to get engineering teams to eat their vegetables – https://t.co/UXW0irtWJj
- This is so beautiful, on starting a new career in your 40s. I’m inspired. http://buff.ly/29LFH4C /via
- So interesting – Welcome to the Executive Team. It’s Messy Here. – http://buff.ly/29LMf3n /via
@katemats /by @johnv
@rkudeshi: Very detailed Reddit comment on just why Pence is so disliked now in Indiana and how he betrayed Mitch Daniels: https://m.reddit.com/r/Indiana/comments/4u6qfr/why_is_mike_pence_disliked_in_indiana/d5ng4e0?utm_source=mweb_redirect&compact=true …
- “He was my mentor, and then he was my predator, and now I’m shot of him, thank god, but the shadow remains.” https://t.co/dWylL9EZDA
- This is great – The Conjoined Triangles of Senior-Level Development – http://buff.ly/2a5WXBd /by
@tehviking /via @_K_E_L_S_E_Y
- Resignation letter from 30-year republican and the comments on morals and complicity give me hope – http://buff.ly/2a4lNWx /via
- Cis-normative, but also entertaining and makes a powerful point – If Men Could Menstuate by Gloria Steinem – http://buff.ly/29EubFE
- “Anger allows us to express dissatisfaction. It allows us to say something is wrong.” http://buff.ly/29HnMtO /via
- TW The ‘Shaman’ A Committed Solo Traveler Struggles to Reconcile Being Raped While Abroad http://buff.ly/29G9j27 /b
@noirony /v @dearsarah
- Right on,
@ellenchisa – “Minimum Bar” Diversity – https://t.co/LJoLqHvpOI
- This is interesting – on motivating people, and you’re own motivations – http://buff.ly/29HZOi5 /by
@fowlersusann /via @Jo_Miller
@HillaryClinton: A young girl asked Hillary, “Do you think when you’re president, you’ll be paid as much as a man?”
- Beware brogrammers. The raccoons are coming for you.
- Super interesting, on how it’s not about delight, but solving problems – Why I Don’t Measure Delight https://t.co/kOyhJvUUvK
- This is a love letter to Europe. http://buff.ly/29JIAAV by Clive James
- I love this from
@nkkl about being persistent – what it means to have grit – http://buff.ly/2ablDM3 (I scored 3.9)
- Being an engineer on a team of 80% women sounds amazing. http://buff.ly/29KkBlh /by
@annekate /via @triketora
- This is beautiful.
- I think this interview question actually explains a lot about kind of women allowed to be successful at Google – https://t.co/EVJnoyyw3f
- Yes, this – also on point on conflict – The Virtue of Hubris and The Value of Complaining http://buff.ly/29Qe6Nk by the brilliant
- Ahhh Wet Owls! This is everything!! http://buff.ly/29RKTBL /via